Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Take Along Project Suggestions?? >

Take Along Project Suggestions??

Take Along Project Suggestions??

Old 08-07-2009, 04:55 PM

My vote is for EPP....it's portable, relaxing and turns out very, very pretty. You'll be done in no time.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:01 PM

I love to take along embroidery (red work is good -- one thread color, small scissors and embroidery blocks, etc. that will all fit in a zip lock baggie. Or that new quilting book/magazine that I just haven't had time to read :roll:
Old 08-07-2009, 05:10 PM

When we're travelling I work on embroidery blocks that will be made into a quilt later. I try to collect fabrics that will go along with the blocks as we go.

I also have a hexagon project that I've carted around for years....it's not as "fun" so it's only brought out when I don't have time to prepare something else.

Hand appliqué is wonderful too, if you have a favourite holiday or season you could start on a little wallhanging for that.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Originally Posted by Boston1954
I used to take fabric to work and cut squares when I had finished my lunch and still had time left. I have a bitty mat, about 5 or 6 inches square. Maybe you could start your next project.
What about some English paper piecing - hexagons or squares. I used to do a whole lot on train journeys down to Dublin (three hours each way). I could put the whole lot in a small make up bag in my handbag. Scissors, thread, needle, thimble, selection of ready cut fabrics, and some papers, ditto.
This is exactly what I would suggest. I just started English paper piecing a Grandmother Flower Garden quilt. I take it everywhere with me. It fits in a small bag and is so much fun.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:54 PM

OOOOH! Thanks so much for the ideas! Now I want to do them all. I have seen that applique site before and think I bookmarked it before the computer crashed. I'll have to go back and re-read it now that it's crunch time. One or all of these should keep me busy for a while. Thank you!!!
RETRO
Old 08-08-2009, 06:15 AM

Another idea would be to make yo-yos. I just saw a yo-yo quilt at a county fair we visited. It looked fun and like a great way to use up scrap fabrics. Then at my LQS there were yo-yo templates (I think Clover brand) so I bought a couple different ones (heart shape and circle) and I thought I might make some while we are driving while traveling. I like the EPP idea, also.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:05 PM

I love to make samplers.
I pick a "primary fabric" and coordinates. then I print of block patterns, cut my templates and sit and plan out each block. Then cut the fabrics, carefully marking seamlines. As I finish cutting out each block, I put it in a ziplock bag with the piecing diagram. When I'm ready to go somewhere, I take a couple of blocks, along with a bit of fabric with a few pins in it, a small pair of scissors, and a spool of thread with needles already threaded onto it the bag and I'm ready to be productive in any downtime I might have.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady View Post
What about some English paper piecing - hexagons or squares. I used to do a whole lot on train journeys down to Dublin (three hours each way). I could put the whole lot in a small make up bag in my handbag. Scissors, thread, needle, thimble, selection of ready cut fabrics, and some papers, ditto.
Ladies, I'm looking for a pattern for a take-along bag for my english paper piecing project such as the one Katy Jones (aka Quilt Monkey on QNNTV) shows, one that is small enough to slip into my large purse that would hold a minimum of items needs to hand stitch the hexagons. Anyone have something they could share? I know the makeup bag works well, however I'm itching to stitch up one of my own. Thanks in advance for your help.