Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Taking your machine to a class? >

Taking your machine to a class?

Taking your machine to a class?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:46 AM

Default Taking your machine to a class?

I am going to be taking a weekly class and may have to take my machine with me.

I'm a little nervous about this...Do lots of people do this? Do you worry about harming your machine transporting it around? What do you do to protect it?

Am I being ridiculous?

Watson
Old 08-16-2017, 09:57 AM

Do you have some sort of tote? What kind of machine do you have? Most machines can tolerate being taken to a class in a carrier. I have 2 Tutto cases that I use. I have the Serger case that will fit my smaller machines (my FW, my Bernina 215) and a XL one to transport my larger machines [Janome 8900 (only to the shop for servicing) or my Singer 301]. I can even fit in some of my sewing stuff like my accessory case and sometimes my project.

I know there are other cases on the market that people swear by, but Tuttos are my favorite. They are not cheap, but you can find them at reasonable prices if you shop around.

Here is a link to JoAnns.com: http://www.joann.com/tutto-machine-o...prd140366.html. It looks like they are having a sale right now. Also check with LQS or the place you bought your machine.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:04 AM

No just get a case for it. It's the b same if you were taking into dealer for cleaning no big deal
Old 08-16-2017, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

It probably depends on what kind of machine you have.

Some are more portable than others.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I am going to be taking a weekly class and may have to take my machine with me.

I'm a little nervous about this...Do lots of people do this? Do you worry about harming your machine transporting it around? What do you do to protect it?

Am I being ridiculous?

Watson
No, you are not being ridiculous!
Of course, there is always a concern ...... the good news is that you are in control of your machine.
Just the same as at home, you can always do things to your machine.

Just give it your full TLC and I am sure you will be fine.

If it is hot or cold ... best to just put your machine into your car as you leave, and not have it in there for an extended period.

Keep it upright and when putting in your car, have it sitting, so it will not slide around, as you drive, or if you should stop suddenly. I like to keep mine wedged between the front/back seat of the car. That's what works for my machine and vehicle ... not necessarily yours.

I worry more in getting it in and out of my place, as I take it up/down the stairs.
Likewise, at the LQS' that have their classrooms on the 2nd level.

The other fear that I do have is in the classroom.
.... some are well planned and there are no issues.
Some cram too many people, tables and machines into a small space, and it is too easy for someone else to knock my machine. Some shops create a maze of extension cords, and a huge safety hazard is created. A machine could easily go overboard as a result. Not too long ago, I know a lady who did a nose-dive at a class, tripping on one of those cords. Machines were OK, but she was not. The store knew about it, offering to get ice for her wrist. They helped her pack up and take her things to the car. After getting home, she decided to go to emerg. I was disappointed that the LQS did not phone the next day to check as to how she was.

I'm not trying to scare you, but these are a few of the scenarios that I have been involved with. It has changed my opinion of a couple of shops. As a result, I will probably not go back to one of the maze-shops for a class again.

It's not risk free .... but you really should not worry much, so long as you are careful and use common sense.

Good Luck ... and enjoy your course!!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 08-16-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

wedging it in a tight space is important... even though you may have it in a good case
Old 08-16-2017, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

I've done that a lot. It's not a big deal really.
And no, you aren't being ridiculous- just careful. Our machines mean a lot to us.
I hope you have fun at the class!
Old 08-16-2017, 12:33 PM

Don't be in a rush to leave! I lost the little doohickey that goes on my spool pin that way. Fortunately I could buy another rather cheaply but it annoyed me.
I am also getting more discriminating about taking my machine to classes for a number of reasons. Perhaps you could check out the class space ahead of time to make you less anxious?

Last edited by lots2do; 08-16-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:08 PM

When I had to take my regular sewing machine to a class, I would seat belt (shoulder harness and all) her in on the back seat. That way, she couldn't tumble if I hit the brakes. I actually bought a Janome Jem as a class machine. It is much lighter in weight and fits into an airline carry-on, so now my machine has wheels too!

And label your cords and foot pedal as well as any mats or cutting supplies you might be taking. Things have a tendency to 'wander' and a label is much better proof of ownership than possession.

Last edited by GingerK; 08-16-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:11 PM

I've only been to 2 classes & took my machine both times without any issues. I have a tote (on wheels) that I use that is well padded & I keep an eye on my machine at all times.

Do you have an extra machine that maybe is less expensive as the one you always sew on? Maybe you could take it instead of your really good one.