Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Talk about painful!

Talk about painful!

I am in the process of moving my sewing / quilting from a small bedroom to my living room (AKA, my new sewing space/studio) As I unearth a lot of stuff I had forgotten, I realize I need to stop buying while I get it all out and see what all I really have. Can you imagine a worse time to do this? Black Friday sales went all weekend and now it is cyber Monday and so far every email I have opened has been “20% off everything!” It hurts to knowingly pass on these great deals!!!!! I don’t honestly know if I will be able to!!!!

yes, but think of all the "New" to you stuff you are unearthing!! And it didn't cost you anything (except years ago when you bought it).

when I quit buying fabric in 2001, that first year was Awful. Not buying fabric was an addiction eating away at me, clawing to get out and run wild. It sounds funny to say it, but it wasn't funny then. Good luck with the room move, You will find some wonderful things.

Well if it helps, a 20% off is not enough to get me to buy unless I really need it. Craftsy had 50%- 70% off. I bought a lot of fabric, pre cuts, thread sets, notions, and nice quilt kits! Enough to last until the sale.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Fizzle- a couple of days ago I was looking for something and realize I have way too much stuff! I thought about maybe not buying anything quilting related next year.
    Hmmm.......... we'll see...... but I would really like to set that goal!

I agree with Onebyone about 20%- that doesn't do it for me!

I sew in my dining room and had to take a day to reorganize everything so there was room to clear off the table for guests to eat! In so doing I was keenly impressed with how much stuff I have that I have forgotten about. It was enough of a wake up call to fortify me from buying from the Black/Friday thru Cyber Monday sales! Yay!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post

I agree with Onebyone about 20%- that doesn't do it for me!
    Yup... I need at least 50% off to buy stuff I don't need!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    I have been deleting them as they come in. I really can't afford to buy more of anything right now. so they go as quickly as they come in.

I had to get off all those mailing lists. I have plenty of fabric and also belong to a charity quilting group that has a room full of donated fabric. We receive donations of fabric from families whose quilter has passed away or no longer quilting. It is eye opening to see how much stuff some have and never was able to use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Me too! 50% off or more. Anything less isn't a temptation.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Yes!
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Yesterday I unearthed fabric at home that had been sewn into a large backing -- just perfect for a quilt I have that is ready to be sandwiched. It had been pre-washed and pieced. The fabric is a wide floral stripe designed by Sharon Newman for Moda in the 1990's. I do not remember where I got it, but it was not my handwriting on the dimension paper pinned to it. There will be enough for a remnant of several inches on the selvage edge, so that I can donate the remnant to the Texas Tech museum for their collection of Newman fabric (she was a local quilter and designed a some reproduction fabric).

I honestly think that everything I need comes my way. Keeping that in mind reduces my stress level about securing materials and keeps me away from stores (most of the time).

I would edit my above post for grammar, but when I try, it is blank.

I went to JoAnns on Friday, there were 30 people in line to check out and another long line at the cutting counter with some of the people having their carts full of bolts. My husband was with me and I said I cannot stand in any line so we left for home. Now I see the ads and for some reason, I cannot buy on cyber Monday. I have to pick and feel my fabric before I buy. That's okay. I, too, am turning my living room and dining room into my sewing room. I have my living room sofa and loveseat for sale and I want my price or I will give it away to someone needy.

How exciting! I moved to a bigger space a few years ago. I actually cried a couple times because it was so overwhelming to see how much stuff I have. But it hasn't stopped me from gathering more. Have fun getting organized in your new space.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Well, as "luck" would have it, I've been stopped cold from any "cyber sales, 50%, or anything else", until SO figures out where or why I've either have some kind of water problem or electrical problem and the lights in my sewing room aren't working. Breaker switch keeps popping off. SO took the light switch panel off and said "Uh-Oh, it feels damp behind the switch box". So we may have a leak, and it's turned real cold and the rain we just had has froze in the gutter and on the roof. Or it could be the breaker box is the problem, or who knows..........

I know your pain as I just finished purging and organizing my sewing room. Know I know what is in there and what can be done with it all......still I went ahead and ordered two books and some quilting templates. Some sales are too good to pass up.

I am in the process of redoing my sewing room also and was amazed at how many kits, patterns and blocks I have accumulated let alone fabric. It shocked me enough that I not only didn’t Black Friday shop I unsubscribed from several of my favorite online fabric stores

Thanks for all the encouraging words. Nice to see I am not alone
    and you are right, 50-70% off stuff I don’t need is a way better deal!!!

It must be the season.

I am re-organizing the sewing room to make room for a new hobby. My stash is comfortable but still another 6 yards came home on the weekend. Well it was 40% off at the LQS. Yet I don't want to be one of "those ladies" when the angels sing.

Blog Entries
    LQS owner told me fabric prices are going up again! I usually do a reorganization every January and while I have more fabric than I will ever use it is my passion.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

What bothers me are the tools or gadgets that I HAD to have. Many of them are still in their original package.

Blog Entries
    I took advantage of a couple of sales to purchase backing fabric for a couple of projects that I am currently working on like my LongTimeGone quilt. I also reorganize my sewing room each January...it is a great reminder of the things I have on hand.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    I would edit my above post for grammar, but when I try, it is blank.
    Sometimes I try to correct my grammar after posting but usually by the time I notice it I am on to something else. No one really cares if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Well, as "luck" would have it, I've been stopped cold from any "cyber sales, 50%, or anything else", until SO figures out where or why I've either have some kind of water problem or electrical problem and the lights in my sewing room aren't working. Breaker switch keeps popping off. SO took the light switch panel off and said "Uh-Oh, it feels damp behind the switch box". So we may have a leak, and it's turned real cold and the rain we just had has froze in the gutter and on the roof. Or it could be the breaker box is the problem, or who knows..........
    You are brave putting your fingers behind the wet switch box!! I guess this is one way to keep your mind off of buying fabric etc!! Hope everything is ok!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast