Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk about an unnecessary item! >

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Talk about an unnecessary item!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:06 AM

I wanna shop your stash!!! Great organization and very nice that you get the boards for free. I just store in bins by color.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 AM

A SALESLADY AT THE hANNCOCKS IN bIRM. ASKED ME IF I WANTED ANY WHILE SHE WAS CUTTING MY FABRIC, SHE MADE MY DAY. i ASKED AT WALMARTS NO SUCH LUCK. I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU SHOP.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 AM

I am in the middle of doing this right now. Have been at it for 5 days. I am staying away from cardboard products because of the acid issue but am using Readi-board foam that I can purchase at our local dollar store. It costs me $1.00 for each 20X30 inch sheet and I cut mine so that I get 10 board out of each sheet. It is a reinforced styrofoam sheet and is working just fine for my needs. I tried the colorplast but it was more expensive and I didn't like the sharper edges. Probably would end up cutting myself on them eventually. Colorplast is a more rigid product than I am using and after the local elections you can pick up all the outdated candidate signs that are still around - I did get permission first just to be sure. I just didn't care for the sharper edges and it was harder to cut than the board that I am now using.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 AM

How is the customer service in that "store"?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 AM

Why not use large boxes cut to the right size. Might be a little more work but free. Some grocery, and liquor stores leave boxes out for people to use for moving etc. The local appliance stores may give you boxes too. You could even write how much fabric is on it. Then change it if you use some of it.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM

the free ones are great for the ones of us that can't afford full bolt of fabric.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM

I too use them - they work great - but I do not have room for shelves, so stack them in perfect sized boxes and still have the sight of them at my fingertips - not perfect, but it works!
Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

I was in Walmart this morning that had the fabric dept. There was a bin with lots of empty bolts and the employee said take as many as I want. She said she never had to throw them out, they were always taken before the bin got full. I took a few to have for tote bottoms as another poster suggested. There were many that were all white color cordboard. I wonder if the white is acid free? Most acid free boards are white color.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by shequilts
I keep hearing about the boards used to fold and store fabric, and from what I hear, they're not cheap. Why not use the cardboard that bolts of fabric come on? I've used this for years and never spent a dime on a "board". They're free anywhere that sells fabric. I have closet shelves in my walk-in closet. They're three deep on the back wall and two sides. I have over 400 "bolts" stacked on end in this closet. I sort by color family and can easily "shop" for what I need. My only investment was for the shelves. The cardboards are replaceable for free.
I attached a couple of pics to clarify what I mean.
WHOA,,, can I come shop in your closet. What a beautiful job of organizing, and I love your taste in fabrics. Rita
Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 AM

Fabric envy!!!