Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: talk to me about Muslin!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    if it is thin it makes great backing for foundation piecing and string quilts!

I have read that during the medeival times and since muslin was a cheap fabric to use.The ladies would add ribbons and bows and other things to dress them up or even to dye them. That said, use the muslin to try out patterns if they are difficult and make all your mistakes on it. I just grab what I have on hand to use. That eclectic nature again.

I, too, love this Board!! I used to use muslin all the time but lately noticed how thin it is - I didn't realize there were so many different grades. I am going back to shop for muslin now I know the difference in grades! Thanks.

Marysewfun

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who is a seamstress, and she makes clothes for people, and almost always cuts the pattern out of muslin first to make sure the pattern will fit properly.

I prefer not to use muslin for quilt backings. The weave is usually looser than quilting fabric and I don't think it will wear as well. I also never use it when piecing a quilt top for the same reasons. A lot of time and money goes into making a quilt, by using a cheaper type of fabric you shorten the life of the quilt.

Blog Entries
    I use WalMart muslin all the time - none of it has ever fell apart. Guess the stores in my local use the better quality? In fact, WalMart at Newport, AR has a good stock of good (in my opinion) fabric.

I use it for backround applique blocks, for emb blocks, for peicing ect.

I love muslin, use the cheaper thin to make a muslin when making clothes. I use the heavy sturdy for making Raggedy Ann and Andys, use it to back things, have decorated it to make homespun looking curtains, used it for fondations and the list goes on. Use good grades for things that need it but even thin has its uses. Oh, and ask me about gingham, lol.

Blog Entries
    I use a lot of bleached muslin for quilt backs and in the quilt top if I need a small amount of white solid. I think it works great for backs.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I have used it to make "neck coolers" for soldiers and I used it to enclose the bottom of my grandson's ball pit.

Blog Entries
    I love to hand quilt on good quality muslin and you can see your stitches so nicely. Helps you concentrate on small even stitches :lol:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjaye44
    I love to hand quilt on good quality muslin and you can see your stitches so nicely. Helps you concentrate on small even stitches :lol:
    Oh, what an excellent idea! I'll have to try this next time. Love this board. So much wisdom...

Just a word of caution...I saw muslin in WalMart that was a polyester/cotton blend. Be sure to read the end of the bolt for 100% cotton. I like the extra wide (90" or 108") bleached muslin for quilt backs.

Muslin certainly has it's place in the history of quilting. I use it quite a bit for backings. The machine quilting shows up very nice on it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pieces
    I prefer not to use muslin for quilt backings. The weave is usually looser than quilting fabric and I don't think it will wear as well. I also never use it when piecing a quilt top for the same reasons. A lot of time and money goes into making a quilt, by using a cheaper type of fabric you shorten the life of the quilt.
    i have used roc-lon over the years,nd never had a problem with it..
    and other brands.(sew essentials is what i consider a cheap one,and don't use it anymore)

mostly the kona now..it costs around $5.00 yrd and is a 200 thread count..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ SewKkrazzy
    I have a friend who is a seamstress, and she makes clothes for people, and almost always cuts the pattern out of muslin first to make sure the pattern will fit properly.

I sent you a private message..

:)

I use muslin (good grade)when I want to make a traditional block. Most old country quilters used muslin (domestic) to set blocks and for the backing(lining). Sometimes I just like the old-timey look, I reckon.

i will use muslin for a backing somethimes but only the better grade the cheaper price is to thin, as far as using muslin in my quilt top i prefer kona cotton instead

Blog Entries
    I like muslin for the backs, sometimes, depends on the quilt. I use muslin for lots of different things such as lining bags. I like a coarse muslin for doll bodies.

Blog Entries
    Ya'll are making me jealous! :hunf: My local Walmarts all dropped fabric. They were great for muslin that my DH used for his Muzzleloader stuff. I knew I could always find batting and thread quickly.

Now that they don't have fabric, I rarely go there. Count your blessings folks! You have many.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2