Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: taller table

I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas to pass along on how to make a table for cutting fabric that is a little higher that an normal table? I'm 5'9" tall and my back hurts after cutting fabric. I was thinking about buying a couple of ironing boards and putting a piece of wood on the top so that I could adjust the height and it could be folded up and put away when not in use. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Even though I'm 5'3", my back always hurt from bending over and cutting too. I purchased a large computer desk(it has an extra wide surface) and my husband helped me prop it up on 4 cinder blocks. I couldn't believe what a difference this made. I don't know if you would have room for this, but its a good option.

I bought those plastic risers for raising a bed. They work great under the legs of my cutting table. Just the right height for me but I'm only 5'4". :wink:

ccbear66........
    This is not my idea, don't know if it was mentioned on this forum or elsewhere but will pass it on. Get some white plumbing pipe at a Home Center, like they make the white pipe furniture out of, the height of what you want your table to be, they will most likely cut it for you, slip them over each leg to your table. Obviously you need 4 straight legs. I don't and can't use this myself, darnit. Good luck. 8) Betty

First do you know what is the most comfortable height for you? After that it is just the question of functionality. I liked the idea of the ironing boards because of the ease of dismantling and storage......but I am not sure if they will be sturdy enough support for cutting. Check your discount furniture stores or even 2nd hand stores.. They may have older dressers, or cabinets that you can find to fit the bill. Remember to do a ghost cutting to see how this works with your height. The bonus is more storage for the new fats you will be purchasing for all the quilts this comfort will allow you. Also any businesses going out of business, or outlets for overstock. :D

One time I went to Ashley's Furniture with my aunt and I remember there being a whole section for odd pieces of furniture or things that were marked down (significantly) because there was something wrong with them (like scratched surfaces, torn upholstry, etc.) Who knows? You might find something suitable for a cutting surface if you look into the "misfit furniture section" of a furniture store.

If there are any furniture places going out of business or doing liquidation there are bound to be some major discounts on tables that could be your new cutting surface.

Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be the prettiest looking piece of furniture if you're gonna use it for cutting. My dad's girlfriend bought the most hideous looking table I've ever seen in my life, but she says it makes a great cutting surface.

The above post had me laughing and kinda took the thunder out of my suggestion----great minds think alike, eh?? :)

My hubby works for Ashley and I got a really nice 72"L x 42"W dining table with an extension leaf, on clearance for $77. It works so well for me. Plenty of room to plan and work on.

I did the very things that were suggested, looking at discount furniture places, yard sales, ads in the paper. Granted, I didn't want to spend that much, but, well, you know how it goes.

I was thinking of your ironing board idea but the thing too that I thought of was how sturdy would it be, especially for cutting. I had tried to use a fold up heavy resin card table, but it had too much give going toward the center so that my cuts would mess up.

Hope you find something soon.

Blog Entries
    I'm 5'11", so i feel your pain. I do amost all of my cutting on the kitchen counter. it's just the right height.

this link shows the folding/rolling cutting table i hope to buy within the next couple of months. i plan to get two so i'll have a nice huge surfaces for the basting and machine quilting phase. i haven't shopped around yet, so don't know if this is the lowest price source.

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/sullivans_home_hobby_table.html

Hi, I am also 5'10" and cutting was a problem for me. So I went to Bed Bath and Beyond where they sell risers (for beds) which are very inexpensive. You get four in a box for less than $10. and they make all the difference in the world.

My husband built a table for me. He used a hollow core wood door. He got the biggest they make in order to give me the most cutting surface. Then he bought some wood and made a "skirt" about 3 inches wide, which is set in from the edge of the table. This formed a "box" into which he set the legs. (the legs are anchored to this skirt (box) They were bought at the lumber dept (Home Depot, I think) and since those "legs" are designed for porchs and stairways, he determined how long to cut them in order to give me a counter height table. I am 5"6" and getting old and creaky, so this was a very good solution for me.

There might be some drawings available if you cannot find a similar table plan on the internet.

I just did a little search and was taken to Martha Pullen's site. They were discussing the same. Several had bought the bed risers from Bed,Bath& Beyond and said they work perfectly, espcially under the dining room table. I just had to pass this along. They cone in
    5 1/2" and also 7" YOu might want to check on this item. It would be cheaper than building a table. Bed Risers! Who would have thought?

http://forums.marthapullen.com/read.php?f=6&i=5127&t=5127

June

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. As for the ironing board not being sturdy enough, I was thinking of buying two and mounting a board to the top. I was thinking that with two of them on the same board that it might work. Has anyone else tried this.

Someone told me there is a pattern available for a board that is made to fit over the ironing board, that makes for a larger surface. She said the pattern was in a quilting magazine. Maybe Google mgiht help. I can't imagine how big the surface could be, without causing the ironing board to topple. I would rather raise a table (even temporarily) that go that route.

June

:) A few years ago, I purchased a table from Joann's, I use it to lay out my quilt tops and clamp down for pinning or tying. It folds down to 12 inches. Has two sides 24 inches x 36 inches. On sale it was around $59.
    35 inches high.

I would think that with all the Hancock's and Walmart Fabric Depts going out of business we all should be able to get cutting tables for cheap!

I used a rectangle dinning table and put paint cans under the legs. Perfect height !

I use a small dining table for my sewing/cutting table. I have been thinking of looking for taller replacement legs, maybe at the Home Depot or something. Since pub height tables are the latest thing, there should be taller legs available somewhere.

If I can't do that, I am going to see about tall furniture at garage sales, or maybe a set of kitchen cabinets that someone is getting rid of after remodeling. It should be easy to group cabinets together and top them with something. I think it would be really stable and I'd have more storage space too!

MCH
    I have a 36 x 72 table on the BB&B risers installed in my sewing room. It's a great set-up for cutting fabric...now, if I could just move some of that fabric off it so that I could cut out some new projects...so that... Oh, that's a different problem. :wink:

An additional hint...I use the same size table with risers as a surface for wrapping Christmas presents. My husband and grown sons (each > 6' tall) appreciate the extra "wrapping height", as well.

Pat

ccbear66, I remembered seeing a pattern for a large top to add to a ironing board for pressing quilting tops. You could make it for cutting if you rather have that. I found the book, it was in the"ConnectingThreads " Winter 2005 cataloge. I have a bad habit of saving things!!! The pattern was $7.00. They also had a "BIG BOARD" already made up for $98.95. They also have free pattern downloads at www.ConnectingThreads.com. I hope this helps you out. This is a great cataloge, they have fabric, patterns, tools, everything. Check it out. I have gotten their newer book too. So I know they are still in business. Pat

I checked on the web site and didn't find anything like that. I think that maybe I'll just have my husband cut some pieces of thick wood to put under the table that I have now and keep my eyes open at garage sales this summer to see if I can find something better.
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I knew that I could count on you gals for some great advise.

HI again, I've just recently had my DH build me a big board that fits on top of my ironing board. I did a search beforehand & found this webshots site with clear step-by-step photos. I just used the 22" x 59" top measurement from the original big board. I have really enjoyed it, and wonder that it took me so long to decide to try it.

http://community.webshots.com/album/180862212jmSjuv

Thanks for sharing. Is it sturdy enough to use for cutting fabric. I tried to use my ironing board and it was not sturdy enough. I would think that adding the wood would really stabalize it.

Well mine is certainly stable enough.....I used a 3/4" plywood as the top because that's what I had on hand - it's heavy! (I have mine in a carpeted room) Also I covered mine with the insulbrite which has just a little bit of padding and then covered that with a cotton twill. A friend has the purchased big board & recommended not using so much padding so that it could be used with a cutting board as well. HTH

Blog Entries
    thimblebug6000

What a great idea! And Engineer... and supervisors! Will you post the supervisor's photo(s) in the photos of our furry quilting companions?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/1020.page

That's not my webshots page, it's one I found with those directions when I searched out the big board.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast