Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tape down Supreme Slider for FMQ? >

Tape down Supreme Slider for FMQ?

Tape down Supreme Slider for FMQ?

Old 04-04-2016, 10:15 AM

Default Tape down Supreme Slider for FMQ?

Is it necessary to tape down the slider, or will the sticky pink backing hold it in place?
Old 04-04-2016, 10:22 AM

From my experience TAPE IT because I sewed mine to my quilt and even with removing the stitches ,I reordered because
the holes kept hanging up my movement. Same thing happened to my mom. Use painters tape it works great!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:25 AM

Mine has never moved, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and tape it. Won't hurt anything and might save you from retta97's fate!

Watson
Old 04-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Never taped mine down. I rinse it in warm water to remove any lint and dust and it resticks like new.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:17 PM

I've had one slip and ended up sewing it to the quilt. I'm not sure if it was because the back was linty, or it had to do with the materials the machine was made of. At this point I can't remember if I was using it on my VX560 (all metal vintage machine) or the PC420 (all plastic casing) when it slipped. I do remember that at the time I was not amused and ended up taping it down for a good while whenever I was FMQing--but it was a pain to get to the bobbin when it was taped down.

I've never had the slider slip when using it on my PQ1500s and I don't tape it down on that machine BUT I always make sure that it is nice and clean on the back before I apply it to my machine. BTW I'm still using the one that was sewed to the quilt, over the years it has developed quite a rip, but that doesn't seem to affect its performance as long as I put the rip to the left of or behind the needle.

That said, you might want to put it on the machine you use for FMQ and see if you can move it with your hands. It may be that the sliders stick better to some machines than others. Also, if you don't have good support to the left and behind the machine and are fighting against the weight of the quilt hanging off an edge, you could possibly cause a slider to slip simply by pressing down too hard as you try to move the quilt around.

Rob
Old 04-04-2016, 12:53 PM

Mine moved and I ended up stitching thru it, so I always tape the front and left side edges now.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

I've never had the slider slip when using it on my PQ1500s
That is the machine I use it on too. No problem with it slipping. It may have to do with type of finish on the extension table.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:16 PM

Rob, I have the PC420PRW too, only had it for a couple of months. I love it. But maybe you can answer my question, I made my first attempt to learn fmq and the front was great but the back was a mess. See pics on thread Free Motion Attempt Gone Wrong. Any advice welcome! I'm afraid to try again.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 PM

I've stitched through mine a couple of times. Painter's tape is good.

The machine can inadvertently be the culprit. You have to lift up the slider if you are using either a Brother 1500 or Juki 2010 set into the table. The Juki has to have the bobbin cover lifted just to change the bobbin, and the more you disturb, the more likely to slip. I imagine a slider on a top loader would have to be moved, too.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:58 PM

After sewing three into quilts, I started taping my Supreme slider with painter's tape. I had washed my Supreme slider after every use, but sooner or later, I ended up with a slider sewn into my quilt. Now that I tape it, no more problems.