Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tape -- My Secret Quilting Weapon >

Tape -- My Secret Quilting Weapon

Tape -- My Secret Quilting Weapon

Old 10-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Great ideas!

I keep a roll blue tape close. I've used the tape to run straight lines on a quilt and then quilt it.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:55 PM

I've seen Eleanor Burns use the Glow-Line tape. Does anyone use it? I haven't seen it in my local stores.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:32 PM

Yes, I use colored tapes to mark my rulers for trimming HSTs ,FG's and the like. No having to "search" for the right little mark every time! I use masking tape to mark straight lines right on the fabric, too so I don't have to use pencils, etc. I sew right beside it, peel it off and move to another place. Don't have to press down hard, so no "gunk" is left and it can be replaced in another spot.

Oh, and colored tapes for the bed of my machine, too. (I use colored ? plastic ? tape for that and on rulers.)

Last edited by Kitsie; 10-16-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:37 AM

I'll put in my 2 cents worth on tape. I love painters tape and use it on my rulers as well. So that I know which side of the tape is the proper measurement I draw an arrow on the tape to the edge I should be using. That way if I leave a project and come back to it I don't have to think about which side is the good side.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:03 AM

For those pesky tips that get eaten by the machine, I simply trim off a small amount of the corner and have not had one eaten since. These are the dogs ears you will trim off later so you are not losing anything important. I still have to trim those a bit after pressing as I only tKe off enough to give my machine something more to grab onto.

Like most here, tape has a special place in my sewing studio. I use two sizes of painters tape often. On my rulers I like to use the post it pads a person would mark pages in a book for study purposes or they are used to mark the place where someone is to sign paperwork. They are bright and removable. I often use several on my long ruler to keep my eye on the correct line easier.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:03 AM

I have some Glow Line tape but the thing I disliked was that when I removed the tape from the ruler the sticky stayed and only the colored part came off. It was a pain to remove the residue but I finally got it off. I have 3 widths of the blue painters tape and use it a lot. Sometimes I stack layers of it so I can feel a ridge to use as a seam guide. Anlother thing I save and comes in handy is those magnetic cards that come in the mail. I use them on my old vintage machines for a quarter inch marker.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
For those pesky tips that get eaten by the machine, I simply trim off a small amount of the corner and have not had one eaten since. These are the dogs ears you will trim off later so you are not losing anything important. I still have to trim those a bit after pressing as I only tKe off enough to give my machine something more to grab onto.
When I first started quilting it was before rotary rulers and I would always trim off my triangle ends, sometimes you would do a funky cut so they would line up with the opposing piece better. I should keep that in mind, it's easy enough to do when your stacks are there all nice. In this case I'm just sort of not thinking through the project, I was given a big box of precut squares and my first step was to sort out the metallics and cut them in half, I'm just sort of winging it. I didn't even know what the finished block size would be until I made one -- that's just wild and crazy coming from me.

The nesting technique works well, I have to watch that block that is being sewn on the opposite side just because I'm not used to it, but that's better than having issues with every single start getting sucked in. I found as I went on I could turn the blocks around and keep the pins on the top for a better view.

In that picture, the white triangle was my pattern to cut a couple of the triangles that came from strips instead of squares, but I like the idea of the little bits of paper. Another one of my must have secret tools for quilting is parchment paper I get from the dollar store, that would work lovely for that or as a leader (with a note or a row indicator or something) even...
Old 10-17-2019, 05:42 AM

I just went digging through many of my crafting and sewing supplies to find just the right tap that I can use comfortably. I have some 1/4" and 1/2" tapes that will work for me for diagonal markings. That can get me started. I have a couple of hst rulers and some others that do special cuts. I also use parchment paper or vellum for foundation papers. So many tricks of the trade.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:09 AM

The Scott blue double sided tape is wonderful . I use it when paper piecing .
Old 10-17-2019, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
In my list of "sewing supplies I can't live without" is tape of various sorts but mostly blue painter's tape and masking tape. I used wide blue tape to attach my backings to the long arm or to tighten up fabric on a table. I've used it for labels. I wrap it around my used blades or bent pins or whatever for safe disposal. There is always some in my sewing case.

This isn't a new hint, but it is one where I use tape, in this case I also have a roll of 1/4" tape in my kit and here I'm using it to mark my ruler. I have vision issues anyway and sometimes use the tape to reinforce where I want to cut, say if I need a .75" measurement, easier for me to see the tape than the narrow lines especially on busy fabrics. For me I always have the top of the tape as my measurement, all that really matters is consistency.

I will often design blocks so that they end in standard ruler measurements, in this case I was dealing with 6" squares that I sliced along the diagonal to make a 7.5" (cut, 7" finished) quarter square block. I used up the 6" squares and am now using 6.5" so I have more to trim, I like to make large and trim down for accuracy anyway. With a simple swipe of removable tape, I now have a 7.5" consistent cut, and you can see how marking the opposite angle can help true-up the block.
Tapes of all sizes and colors are my Sewing Friends too. Love that they now come in colors other than just Blue. LOL I also have a pkg of tape on a dispenser that is a ruler. I use it on my machines to mark the 1/4" seam or whatever seam I need. Plus, I use it to make HST on the diagonal as well.