Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tea bag paper >

Tea bag paper

Tea bag paper

Old 05-14-2020, 05:09 AM

Default Tea bag paper

I’m working on the Bernina QAL.

Is tea paper just the European version of foundation paper or piecing paper?

I can’t seem to find where to buy tea paper here. Is this something my LQS might have?
Old 05-14-2020, 05:25 AM

Default Tea Bag Paper

Originally Posted by Mazo View Post
I’m working on the Bernina QAL.

Is tea paper just the European version of foundation paper or piecing paper?

I can’t seem to find where to buy tea paper here. Is this something my LQS might have?
I use straight pins with paper, but I make sure the sharp end is between layers of fabric so I dont stick myself!
Old 05-14-2020, 05:27 AM

Default Found this online

https://sugaridoo.com/product/paper-...paper-1-meter/

thought this might be helpful.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

I had not heard the term tea bag paper but the sugaridoo site said it is thin and transparent. I would think that would be helpful as long as it was easy to tear off after piecing. I prefer the paper piecing technique where you piece beside the line not through the paper.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:08 AM

The advantage of the teabag paper is it can be left in and doesn't need to be torn out.

For cheap abundant "make sure you tear it out" use in my sewing supplies is parchment paper I get at the dollar store (1 x 25 foot). It is not coated, can be ironed and is easily seen through. Sturdier than tissue paper but still easy to tear out. But then again there is still the tearing out...

I haven't looked at this project, is it something better done on a foundation or would it be ok doing it tear out or the folded paper technique of paper piecing? If it is best left on the foundation, I would look at something like the teabag paper. If it is a wall hanging and you aren't the type to ever wash it, leave it in. Then if you do have to wash it, just be gentle.and it should be ok but the more you agitate it or tumble it, the more the paper will be rubbing.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I had not heard the term tea bag paper but the sugaridoo site said it is thin and transparent. I would think that would be helpful as long as it was easy to tear off after piecing. I prefer the paper piecing technique where you piece beside the line not through the paper.
It kind of sounds like vellum, which is what I use for paper piecing. I also prefer the technique where you sew next to the line. Fold the pattern right on the sewing line (with vellum, it's easy to see) and stitch right next to it. No ripping with this method. I use a dab of glue stick to hold the fabric onto the paper.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:23 AM

The Bernina / Sugaridoo project is reverse applique curves. Draw the curve on the paper, stack main focus fabric, background fabric and paper pattern, sew on the line, clip the paper, main fabric and the curve, turn and topstitch down. Any easy to tear away paper will work, but it won't work to sew beside the paper in this case.
I like using quilting paper made for fmq ...mostly because I bought a whole roll of it for fmq. It's very thin, and easy to remove.

edit: I was just thinking ... you probably could sew beside the line, but it would be difficult for me to fold back the paper on a curved line. The curve is almost a half-circle. There is a template, but also an option to do free form curves. So, I guess you could sew beside the line if you wanted to try that. Then you might be able to reuse the paper template.

Last edited by mindless; 05-14-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Stable Stuff is the same. It's left in, no need to tear away. Several different brands of this but I forgot the names. Mostly used for applique.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Stable Stuff is the same. It's left in, no need to tear away. Several different brands of this but I forgot the names. Mostly used for applique.

Thank you, very much!!! . I’m going to try my own thing first to make it my own. I’m thinking of getting a ruler foot and making my own design just to be different too.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:24 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I use Pellon 830 pattern paper, available at JAF. If you have any lightweight or featherweight interfacing lying around, use that. You could even use a lightweight fusible—just trim it about 1/2” from the seam after you turn it and before you press it. This is the appliqué method illustrated here:

https://youtu.be/tqOTaOsWWG4

The difference is that you sew the interfacing to the background, turn it, lay it over the focus fabric, and topstitch it down.

Last edited by Krisb; 05-14-2020 at 02:28 PM.