Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teaching a 10 year old to sew >

Teaching a 10 year old to sew

Teaching a 10 year old to sew

Old 08-01-2011, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I started my 9 yr old GD sewing 1/4" seams on scraps. Then let her sew some little square pillows. She made her first quilt using some of my leftover 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" strips sewing them in sets of three (let her pair them up). This is her first quilt:
www.quiltingboard.com/t-139936-1.htm
Old 08-01-2011, 06:16 AM

I taught my daughter to hand sew when she was 4, and then when she was 9 she wanted to go to the quilt store for one of their childrens machine sewing classes. She learned to sew on one of their regular machines. The first thing they said--"Never put your fingers in front of the needle, only to the sides when sewing".
They used the Milligan/Smith book on Sewing Machine Fun, and my daughter spent part of the first class using an un-threaded machine following the lines in the different pages of the book. Straight lines, pivoting, curvy lines, etc.
I don't remember the order, but during this 4 session class she made a draw-sting bag using 2 fat quarters that she picked out, a hamburger with bun, pickle, onion, etc., and a Halloween tote. Maybe other things I can't remember. All from the book.
This was 15 years ago, and the book is out of print, but they have a "best of sewing machine fun" available. Here is a link that includes photos of some of the projects. The hamburger is there!

http://books.google.com/books?id=_Hh...itesec=reviews
Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 AM

My grandaughter was only 4 when she made her first small quilt about 24 x 30 inches. We started with a quilt as you go with just strips sewn straight down, folded over and pressed. When all the strips are finished, there is nothing left to do except the binding. If you cut the backing large enough, you can just fold it over the top, press and sew. Or you can teach the binding method and I think at 10, she should be able to do this pretty well.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:27 AM

My 8 year old grand daughter visits twice a year. We have been sewing since she was 6. I let her use my sewing machine. Her first project was pillowcases. We used the edge of the presser foot as the seam guide. A year ago, we made an elastic waist skirt, and this year we made pillows and drawstring bags. The second year, her older brother said he would like to sew too. Well, Sarah said that she would teach him since she already knew how. Have fun!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 AM

My GD who just turned 9 middle of July started sewing a few months ago and she made her first laptop quilt this summer.

She has learned using a regular sewing machine. She started out on my mini Janome and now uses my Brother 88 stitch sewing machine which has the start/stop button and also the foot pedal.

Start your GD on straight stitches. My GD wanted to sew squares so I cut her a bunch and her lap quilt is what she got out of it.

Most kids I think find it easy to sew staight stitches and squares, rectangles and such and feel they have accomplished something.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-234786.jpe  
Old 08-01-2011, 06:28 AM

I agree with the pillowcase ... simple and memorable. A tissue case ... simple backpack with cords for straps. All things that will remind her of your "special time" and things she can use.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by lucky_alf2
A pillowcase.....easy straight lines and every night she'll think of grandma :)
You took the words right out of my mouth! A pillowcase is easy and something she can take home with a feeling of accomplishment as well as enjoyment every night she uses it!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:33 AM

I agree about a pillowcase. That is one of the first things I had my granddaughters sew when they started. It is all straight line sewing and they loved it. My one granddaughter sewed pillowcases for her friends for Christmas when she was about 8. She is now 14 and has made several projects, not as many as I would like but as many as she has time to do.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 AM

Someone has already suggested a simply draw-string bag with no lining. This is something all kids love.

Whatever you makes, do not be too critical! My granddaughter made her first quilt when she was 8 or 9. It was 4" square blocks. She had more fun laying them out on the floor to get the exact pattern she wanted. I taught her to sew the rows then put the rows together. I stressed making the corners meet until she looked up at me and said: "Gramma this is MY quilt, I like it this way". I quickly learned to keep my mouth shut!!

Sara is now 21 years old and still loves to sew. She often goes into my sewing room and comes out with an open rotary cutter in her hand -- chews me out for leaving it open on the table as I always told her if she didn't close it as soon as she set it down, I wouldn't let her sew anymore that day. She learned -- guess I haven't.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:50 AM

I taught my daughter to sew at 5 and her first quilt was a rail fence. I found out strips like that are so forgiving if her 1/4 got off and it was quick. I also used very fine pins to pin her blocks together and let her sew over them, less concentrating on lining up the blocks together and more on feeding them through.

Now she is a pro at 8 and can turn on, set up the machine and iron away on her own. I handle all the cutting since she is still so young.