Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teaching a 5 Year Old to Sew >

Teaching a 5 Year Old to Sew

Teaching a 5 Year Old to Sew

Old 08-05-2021, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

I have "heard" that young children work in sewing factories in some countries - whether that is true or not - I really don't know.

I think we sometimes under-estimate what our kids are capable of doing.
Editorial comment: I also think we are keeping kids - and some adults - dependent waaaaay too long.

You know your kids better than any of us do. Some are very competent/capable at a very young age - others not so much.

I like the idea of letting them "practice" either on paper without the thread or "just making the machine go" without a needle or thread in it.

Then give them "real" pieces like Mommy uses and let them do whatever they want with them.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Maybe start by using a long piece of fleece and sewing one long seam. Turn and then fringe the ends and they have a winter scarf that they made themselves. One of the pattern companies has a hat and scarf pattern to use with fleece. Very cute and a child could make them easily. I think the attention span is pretty short on a child this young. Don't you agree?
Old 08-05-2021, 08:12 AM

I let my Granddaughters start on the machine around the age of 7-8. The oldest one (17) just exhibited her first quilt at our County Fair this weekend and she got Grand Champion. She took textiles in high school 2 years and this past year they made a quilt. She was the only one in the class that knew how to use a sewing machine. I feel good that I instilled the basics of sewing and she took off from their. The other Granddaughter just turned 9 and last year for Christmas she made her Mom a couple of hot pads. I feel that is a good project to start on for them.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:55 AM

I started my gd at the age of 7. She is very hyper and that slowed down her progress because of safety concerns. I used a brothers machine with a speed control and went very slowly. Lessons were put on hold because of COVID and I am sure she barely remembers what we were doing. So many good Ideas here. I will work with many of these ideas for her future sewing lessons. Now to mark this thread.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:36 AM

My mom had a Singer treadle machine when I was 5 years old. All of the neighborhood kids went to school and I was bored. I stood up and pumped the treadle and I sewed strips together. My mom made the clothing for herself as well as for me and my sisters. She cut the leftover fabric into strips and I learned to love sewing at an early age. I have sewn throughout my life and I would be lost without it. I often wish I had that treadle machine. So many memories of beautiful outfits my mom created on that machine from Easter outfits to prom dresses and bed spreads, curtains and slip covers.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

My granddaughters and the preschool kids I used to volunteer with were all sewing at 4 yrs old. We did use a brother machine set on turtle speed. I did not stress things like 1/4” seam or accuracy- some seems were 1” wide at one end & 2 at the other- it was all ok- we made it work and they loved it- were always proud of their accomplishments and their parents loved their creations too. The technical stuff comes along as they continue just like all of us, we improve with practice. I had boys who sewed the blocks on our fundraiser class quilt when they were 4 and then came back to me when 8 or 9 wanting to make pants, vests, hunting/ fishing vests, gifts for their moms or grandmas.
encouraging and praising what ever they make keeps them interested for years to come. If you start out expecting perfection they lose interest pretty quickly
Old 08-05-2021, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

I have two Daughters and two Granddaughters. Only my oldest Daughter sews/ quilts. The others have never had an interest in sewing. Oldest Granddaughter loves crafts, we use to spend lots of time doing crafts when she was young. The other two had no interest in anything useful.

If your 5 year old is showing an interest in sewing, by all means start teaching her.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:24 PM

Thanks for all the advice! So many wonderful ideas here! I hadn't thought of using paper and an unthreaded needle just to start with. I think I'll teach both hand and machine sewing. I have a treadle too. Maybe it would be fun to teach her on that.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:04 PM

My granddaughter was 6 or 7 when I started her sewing. We started with a scrap of fabric and a button. When i let her use the machine, I unthreaded the machine a drew lines on a paper and let her follow the lines. I have also been told to use a page from a coloring book page for practice. She is 9 now and we make something when she asks to sew. We have made a can coosie, and a coaster and a pillow for her doll. We also made a small quilt for her dog. I keep trying to think of simple things that don't take a lot of time and are easy to sew. The main thing is to encourage her and not overwhelm her. She loves the time sewing with me.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:47 AM

I started sewing when I was 5. Mom would give me scraps from the clothes she was making and tell me to sew them together. It looked like a mess of random strings of different sizes, but once I’d made two (she’d tell me when to start a new one) she’d help me cut them into squares for a potholder. We’d sandwich that with leftover flannel and turn it inside-out and I’d have to close the opening with hand stitching. That gently taught me how to use the machine, how to cut fabric and how to hand-stitch. I was so proud of those potholders and mom always made sure she used them when I was around.

After that, she got a simple shorts pattern - that taught me to stay in the seam allowance, hemming, simple curves, cutting curves and inserting elastic. Then it was on to a simple shirt (no collar) to teach collars and buttonholes and how to sew on buttons. Then a stuffed animal to teach accuracy.

Best lessons ever. Still vividly remember all of them! I never felt bored, but was always doing something simple to learn a new technique. By the time I was in the 7th grade I was making my own winter coats!

Make it fun, make it simple, and make things that will be enjoyed or worn. Good luck - you’re passing it on to a new generation!

Last edited by cindi; 08-06-2021 at 10:50 AM.