Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Teaching children to sew

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Read what I wrote: 'kids have a hard time later on'. Not that they never will., Geesh.
    Okay, so it's more akin to saying kids who don't walk early, will have a hard time running a marathon.

Oh, don't mind me; I'm just being a brat. I do disagree, though. While we can help children practice their fine motor skills, it really boils down to nature and development of the individual child. I don't believe children are physically penalized in any way, just because they don't develop these skills early/ahead of the norm.
    Last edited by Neesie; 07-06-2012 at 02:59 PM.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Hi. Great they asked you to teach. When I gave classes my group wanted to make something quick for their room. Simple to do and gives a feeling of being able. They choose a stuffed pillow Some used a quilt block to which they sewed a border onto it. They did the cutting,a little guidance here, turned it right side out. They also done all of the sewing. They Preffered to hand stitch the opening shut. A young man about 8 said now I can sew on my buttons. He also brought in something he sewed where it came unsewn. They were amazing and so happy to learn. The older boys preffered to use pre print designs and just start with a pillow. The comic characters were very popular. The youngest was 5 and I had about 6 to 8 at a time. They are still sewing today after 4 years. Very rewarding experience. Marvel
    Okie quilter

Thank you all for the encouragement and suggestions. I found some templates to make sewing cards for the 5 year old, have some felt she can sew buttons on. and some tiny square of polyester she can string up to practice using the tapestry needle. I loved the 5-minute purse. I know the older girls would like a tote/sling purse, so we will tackle that or a pillowcase. I also have some blank composition books I bought when school supplies were on sales, so they can make an easy book cover. I have some yarn and crochet hooks, so they might want to learn how to chain and I have an around and around potholder pattern they might want to make. I also found a tutorial on weaving a purse out of strips of old fabrics--girls never have too many purses. I will keep you posted and hopefully have pictures to upload of finished projects.

Jennie

Quote Originally Posted by ilovequilts34 View Post
    Thank you all for the encouragement and suggestions. I found some templates to make sewing cards for the 5 year old, have some felt she can sew buttons on. and some tiny square of polyester she can string up to practice using the tapestry needle. I loved the 5-minute purse. I know the older girls would like a tote/sling purse, so we will tackle that or a pillowcase. I also have some blank composition books I bought when school supplies were on sales, so they can make an easy book cover. I have some yarn and crochet hooks, so they might want to learn how to chain and I have an around and around potholder pattern they might want to make. I also found a tutorial on weaving a purse out of strips of old fabrics--girls never have too many purses. I will keep you posted and hopefully have pictures to upload of finished projects.
    Jennie
    This sounds great! Ya got an awesome plan!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    What about this one?
    Oops I for got the link.

Here it is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpst4...layer_embedded
    I can't You-tube on my computer very easily. I did just look at this pattern. (15 minutes to load a 4 minute video)

This purse is soooooooooooooo easy, and sooooooooooooooo cute specially if using two contrasting fabrics.

Thanks, Would work using a crazy quilt block for one piece, too.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    I can't You-tube on my computer very easily. I did just look at this pattern. (15 minutes to load a 4 minute video)

This purse is soooooooooooooo easy, and sooooooooooooooo cute specially if using two contrasting fabrics.

Thanks, Would work using a crazy quilt block for one piece, too.
    Or any block that ya like!!! Ya got me thinkin'!!!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

My grandson made his first quilt at age 5 and my granddaughter had just turned 8. They each sewed 5 inche strips together, cut the sewn pieces into 5 inch strips and sewed them back together to make a pattern. They were lap size. This last TV taping my 8 year old grandaughter helped me with the Oregon Quilting TV program and did a wonderful job.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

the quilt shop i frequent has kids classes on making a pillow, pillow cases , pajama pants

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3