Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Teaching myself FMQ with Stencils - pictures added >

Teaching myself FMQ with Stencils - pictures added

Teaching myself FMQ with Stencils - pictures added

Old 10-25-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by vondae
I use old clothing patterns to draw my stencils on. Pin, quilt and pulls right off.
I also use them for paper piecing on the unprinted areas.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:17 AM

I have tried the paper and the press and seal. Mixed reviews! The press and seal was recommended at a a quilt class I took. Great idea BUT I had a devil of a time getting it out of little spaces (inside of leaves, etc. Also marked the plastic with permanent marker - seemed like a good idea at the time. But this little bit of the plastic stayed under the stitches in places leaving black showing. ;-p It was a MESS! Tried the tissue-type paper with slightly better results though I still have tiny bits of white under some areas. My stitch length is not as great as it should be so when I get tiny stitches, there is more problem getting the paper out. I purchased some of the wash-away in a roll (took out a loan-tee hee) and it will be my next experiment. Will continue to watch this thread for more suggestions.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the tip. I am going to try this tonight.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I buy water soulable interfacing to trace my quilting patterns. Washes away when I wash the quilt.Buy it at JAs
Do you mean water soluble stabilizer for machine embroidery? And what kind of pen do you use so it doesn't smear while you are tracing?

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
You can do the same procedure that you are using with sewing the design without thread to perforate. Instead of sewing over it use it as a stencil. Lay it on your quilt where you want the design, pounce chalk or baby powder over it, working it into the holes and you have a reusable stencil.
I have also traced onto press n seal. It is like saran wrap but tacky. It sticks to most anything and is repositionable. You can see through it and it tears out very easily. Ann in TN
What do you use on the "Press n Seal" , any special pencil?This all sounds so interesting. I think I'm going to pull out some of my UFO's that just need to be quilted.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I buy water soulable interfacing to trace my quilting patterns. Washes away when I wash the quilt.Buy it at JAs
This has become my favorite method lately. Works like a charm!
Which paper or Press nSeal do you use?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 PM

I'm going to bookmark this.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 PM

[quote=Julie in NM]I buy water soulable interfacing to trace my quilting patterns.

I went to JA's and they have a product called Wash-n-Go and a product and 2 different water soluble stabilizers. Can go give us a little more info which you used?
Thanx,
Robin in TX
Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 PM

[quote=Julie in NM]I buy water soulable interfacing to trace my quilting patterns.

I went to JA's web site and they have a product called Wash-n-Go and a product and 2 different water soluble stabilizers. Can go give us a little more info which you used?
Thanks,
Robin in TX

Sorry for the double post. This thing is running too slow tonight
Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 PM

I tried glad press n seal and found it a bit difficult to remove.
Now, I xerox on my home printer the pattern/design onto xerox paper. I use straight pins to hold it onto the queen size quilt I am quilting on my home machine. It removes easily unless my stitches become too small. I think I will try the tracing wheel to premark with the little holes.
Great ideas here!