Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell me about Heirloom Batting >

Tell me about Heirloom Batting

Tell me about Heirloom Batting

Old 07-04-2009, 12:58 PM

I was in a quilt shop several weeks ago and a customer admired my Laurel Burch purse and we got to talking. She said she had made a quilt and used some Lauel Burch fabric and would I like to see it. I, of course, said "yes" and she went to her car and brought in 3 different quilts she had done. They were all of the highest quality and each 110" x 120". The feel of the quilt was exactly what I like and I asked what type batting she used and she said "Heirloom". Dumb me, I didn't ask any more questions so I am hoping some of you out there are familiar with Heirloom and can answer a question. The quilt felt like it almost had no batting and it draped beautifully. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what type Heirloom this might have been? I have only used Warm & Natural and while I like it for most things I think this Heirloom would be even better in some applications. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:13 PM

Hobbs makes a batting they call 'Heirloom' - 80% Cotton, 20% Polyester. It comes as a fusible, too. I've used it on our everyday quilts here; about 3% shrinkage, which gives the quilts a nice look. I also highly recommend it for a design wall; cotton fabric sticks to it wonderfully :D Our local Hobby Lobby carries it.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

I have used it. Our Hobby Lobby also carries it.
Also carried by Hancocks
Old 07-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

I also use Hobbs Heirloom. It was made in conjunction with Harriett Hargrave. I like it. It is not at all fragile when sandwiching. It needles nicely as well (for handquilting) and another nice thing about it is you can quilt as much as 4" apart. I used it for my tumbling blocks quilt I just posted pictures of today.

What a clever idea to use it as a design wall! I have always wanted one and never thought to use batting. I always just lay out my WIP on the bed in my sewing room but it is only a full size bed and hard to lay out work on. Thanks for the tip!

FF
Old 07-05-2009, 10:41 AM

Is the cost of the Heirloom batting reasonable? Being retired I have to be as frugal as I can in all areas of my life. I live in a rural area but there is a Hobby Lobby and Hancocks about 40 miles away. Do they offer coupons? I do not have a newspaper subscription so any coupons would have to be by mail or the internet. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

I sister gets coupons to Hobby Lobby about every other week. She prints them out from the internet.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

You could try buying it on line. If you do a google search and use "hobbs heirloom batting" in quotes you will get a ton of hits. I just tried it and found a few sources. Here is a link:
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...-Batting--m-15

They charge $13.98 for the queen size. I have a big Joanns in my area (I checked the on line store and they don't seem to offer it on line) and whenever the quilt bat goes on sale I stock up big time. So I haven't had to buy any quilt batting in a long time, other then a black one I just bought for a black quilt I am making.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Babe
Is the cost of the Heirloom batting reasonable? Being retired I have to be as frugal as I can in all areas of my life. I live in a rural area but there is a Hobby Lobby and Hancocks about 40 miles away. Do they offer coupons? I do not have a newspaper subscription so any coupons would have to be by mail or the internet. Thanks for your help.
Here's the link to the weekly Hobby Lobby coupon:
http://hobbylobby.com/weekly/weekly.cfm?page=2
Old 07-05-2009, 01:21 PM

Roben - thank you so much. I have printed the coupon.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

thanks roben
going there tomorrow.