Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tell Me the Difference Between

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Val in IN View Post
    I don't buy pre-cuts. I make my own. When I buy yardage for a project, I buy and extra yard or yard and a half. I always cut 2 FQ's, a few 2 1/2" strips, and whatever else I can get out of it. Not only does it save you money, sometimes those pre-cuts aren't cut accurately and THAT is very irritating.
    I agree, many times, more than I can count, I have bought pieces that are cut wrong, mostly not wide enough on one side.

I rarely buy precuts...only if on sale..and then only fat quarters.
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

OK, but what about shrinkage???? If it is important to pre-wash / pre-shrink the fabric before cutting, what about all these pre-cuts pieces?? Since they are not pre-shrunk, what if you use them together with pieces that are??? Will that make a difference in the overall quilt later on?

I don't use the precuts... I like to wash my fabric before using.. I ran into problems with fabric I bought for a scrap quilt.. I always check to make sure the fabric won't run.. and if it's going to shrink, let it shrink before I sew..
    Barri

I've bought a few precuts and have been disappointed when my 9 patches turn out to be strange sizes. LOL! I think you are better off to purchase a couple of yards of fabrics that you love and make your own. Sometimes in the precuts there are fabrics that you just aren't crazy about!

I love precuts - I buy all sizes of moda precuts - it makes the quilt simple to put together and everything matches well - there is a ton of patterns available and I have found many free patterns on the internet.

you should check out the tutorials on Missouri Star Quilt co - Jenny uses a lot of precut fabric, charm packs, jelly rolls and layer cakes to make quilts - I have made several of her quilts already
    Be kinder than is necessary because everyone you meet is
    fighting some kind of battle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2