Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tell me please

Tell me please

what do I buy to blend colors or add art to my quilts ? I saw a set of 8 pencils in a lqs...they were $85.. isn't there something cheaper out there? I have seen somewhere that you set the color in with an iron...would appreciate any help. Thanks Kay
    Buzzy Bee

Blog Entries
    there are many different markers/pencils/paints to use to embellish/blend/paint your fabrics-
    check out what Dharma Trading Company has, also, Nancy's notions, Keepsake Quilting, Clotilde's, Hobby Lobby, Joannes, Michaels, Ben Franklin Crafts
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Crayola Crayons. You will have to look up how it is done. but the gist of it is you color your fabric then iron over the Crayola Crayon to set the color in the fabric. I'm sure there is more to it, but there are tutorials out there on doing it.

Dick Blick (art supplies) also has a great many supplies for fabric surface design, and usually at much better prices than at quilting related places.
    http://www.dickblick.com/
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I have used crayons for color in an art quilt. I used a paper towel over the top and my iron to heat set and pick up the wax.... color is left on the fabric. It takes some experimenting , and I don't recommend for quilts that will be washed. But it was a inexpensive wat to get lots of color choices .. as I used the box with 88 colors.

I use Derwent colored pencils as they specify; you can find them at JoAnn's or places like Michaels or Hobby Lobby.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    I use Derwent Intense water color pencils.

Once the colors dry they are vivid and permanent. So outlining and guidelines won't disappear even after you add water. No running colors.

A pack of 12 is about $35.
    Got fabric?

There is a great tutorial on this board using Derwent pencils. Do a search on Derwent and see if you can find it, or maybe someone else can provide a link...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I last used Paint Stix. I smeared each color on freezer paper then used my art brushes to shade in the colors. Just followed the directions and it was beautiful. I was making stained glass style flowers for my son's guest bedroom.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I have used crayons for color in an art quilt. I used a paper towel over the top and my iron to heat set and pick up the wax.... color is left on the fabric. It takes some experimenting , and I don't recommend for quilts that will be washed. But it was a inexpensive wat to get lots of color choices .. as I used the box with 88 colors.
    As a teacher, I made and received quilts with crayon art on the blocks. They were washed and although there was a bit of fading, the designs were still there, just maybe not as bright. My quilts get washed on gentle with cold and delicate dry.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    Remember Girl Scouts and Father's Day? We used white hankies, wrote our name on a folded sheet of paper, cut around it and used it for stencils on those hankies. My favorite was coloring on the stencil and smearing the crayon onto the fabric using an eraser. We set it by dipping the hanking in vinegar water and ironing it. Those colors lasted for years and you know how often hankies get washed. Thank goodness my dad was color blind, one of his was designed with a pink "Dad" on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy Bee View Post
    what do I buy to blend colors or add art to my quilts ? I saw a set of 8 pencils in a lqs...they were $85.. isn't there something cheaper out there? I have seen somewhere that you set the color in with an iron...would appreciate any help. Thanks Kay
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2122596_make-crayola-quilt.html Fun and easy to do!
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

Yes, try www.DickBlick.com as they have Copic colors and they have sets or you can buy individual colors. So buy only what you need for this project.

I have taught several classes on tinting using Crayola crayons, which I believe are the best for the purpose. This is the simplest way to do it: (1) Get the pattern for the art you want on the fabric. You can use hot iron transfers or you can trace the pattern on your fabric. (2) Color the fabric just the way you would if it were paper. If you want texture of some kind, you can put sandpaper or screen wire or something else textured under the fabric and color over it. (3) When you get through with your coloring, put the fabric face down on a white paper towel or on a sheet of copy paper and iron the back of the picture. When you see the color come through--about 2 seconds, you have set the Crayola. (4) If the design is not dark enough, color it again and iron again, always face down on clean paper towel or copy paper. You can always make it darker--you can't make it lighter, so you may want to experiment. (5) There are at least two books devoted to this craft. One is Ladies of Leisure: Vintage Quilts, Linens and More by Suzanne McNeill and the other is Vintage Tinted Linens and Quilts by Brenna Hopkins and Nori Koenig. I bought them from Design Originals:Can Do Crafts. www.d-originals.com or write the company at 2325 Cullen Street, Ft. Worth, Texas 76107. I hope this helps. froggyintexas

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
    Crayola Crayons. You will have to look up how it is done. but the gist of it is you color your fabric then iron over the Crayola Crayon to set the color in the fabric. I'm sure there is more to it, but there are tutorials out there on doing it.

I don't know if this will help but I thought it looked very interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJN41E2Akto

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post

Make sure you use another fabric on top of the crayon when you use the iron to heat set it .

Blog Entries
    i use acrylic fabric paints-- just like painting a picture, on fabric. and i use sharpie fabric stains, and sharpie permanent markers sprayed with isopropyl alcohol. i also use procion dyes for dyeing an overall color on larger pieces of fabric. crayons can be melted and painted on as a dye resist--similar to batiking.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    As a teacher, I made and received quilts with crayon art on the blocks. They were washed and although there was a bit of fading, the designs were still there, just maybe not as bright. My quilts get washed on gentle with cold and delicate dry.
    I made a quilt using blocks colored by my grandchildren and it's washed a lot. It's been approx. 10 years - still going strong. They just used their regular Crayola crayons. I heat set them.
    TwandasMom