Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tell us about that one special quilt >

Tell us about that one special quilt

Tell us about that one special quilt

Old 04-09-2010, 04:02 PM

These stories have brought tears to my eyes ... such wonderful reasons for quilting :)
Old 04-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I have to say this thread is just as good as mine about quilting stories. I have enjoyed reading all of these just as much.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:16 PM

[quote=IrishNY]We all have one quilt that stands out for some reason to us. Maybe it's because it was a pattern you weren't sure you could make, or it went to a special person, or it was to celebrate a landmark event in your life. Tell us about it. /quote]

This one made me feel real good because I did it with my son's 6th grade class.

[IMG]http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...ted/britto.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Zoe

I like this thread too in the same way that we wrote about what got us started quilting. I would have had difficulty selecting a special quilt, but here's the one that made me so happy. Years earlier I made a very simple and plain crib quilt for a dear friend and colleague for her new baby girl. We were transferred as were they, but we kept in touch at Christmas. The years passed and my friend always sent me photos of this little girl. In one of their Christmas letters she wrote that her daughter asks her every night: "Tell me about the lady who made my little quilt." And every night for years, she did just that. That young girl is now twenty-one years old, and this child's love for a simple little quilt is my inspiration. :lol:
Old 04-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

I made my first doll quilt in March, and my partner loved it. that is the only quilt I have made, so when I do some large ones I will have more of a feeling of a special quilt. Penny
Old 04-09-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shibori
Well, it's a story that doesn't end well but here goes. I made my first show quilt in 1997. A large Mariner's Compass that I still love to this day...EXCEPT that when I see it I get very angry. That quilt took months to hand quilt and my mom loved it so I gave it to her after the show. We lived in TX at the time so it was a few years before I got to come home to visit to see how she hung it. It was out in the shed, hung up to cover a window, with rusty nails pounded through it. I've always held my tongue about this because I feel that once you give a quilt, it's not up to you how its' treated but this torqued me so much because she knew how hard I worked on it. I was not prepared for how she wanted to use it. I hate to say it, but I won't give her any more of my quilts.
I don't blame you on this one I would feel soo hurt people should know that quilters put their feeling and sooo much time into these.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

these are all so heart touching stories. God bless all of you for there very special stories and for those of you who have had your beautiful quilts so miss treated, may your hearts heal for the pain you carry. Penny
Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 PM

Well, it's a story that doesn't end well but here goes. I made my first show quilt in 1997. A large Mariner's Compass that I still love to this day...EXCEPT that when I see it I get very angry. That quilt took months to hand quilt and my mom loved it so I gave it to her after the show. We lived in TX at the time so it was a few years before I got to come home to visit to see how she hung it. It was out in the shed, hung up to cover a window, with rusty nails pounded through it. I've always held my tongue about this because I feel that once you give a quilt, it's not up to you how its' treated but this torqued me so much because she knew how hard I worked on it. I was not prepared for how she wanted to use it. I hate to say it, but I won't give her any more of my quilts.
You are much kinder than I am. I give gifts with no strings attached as well but to see something that I worked so hard on be disrespected would be more than I could handle. I would be happy to take it back even if I had to pull out the nails myself.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by watson's mom
You are much kinder than I am. I give gifts with no strings attached as well but to see something that I worked so hard on be disrespected would be more than I could handle. I would be happy to take it back even if I had to pull out the nails myself.
Well when you give a gift to people they can do what they want with it but that is so sad to me I would feel extremely hurt especially a family member mistreating my gifts
Old 04-10-2010, 01:46 PM

These are such beautiful touching stories. It's so wonderful to be involved with people who love quilting as much as I do. My special quilt was the second one I made which was a patchwork quilt in mainly primary colors for my youngest grandson (then 4). He cried when I needed to borrow it for a picture. He thought I wasn't going to return it. He loves it so much and always tells me. We also made a pillow together from scraps. It doesn't match the quilt at all, but he loves it and sleeps on it every night. He even takes it with him when he goes somewhere overnight.