Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Template for tumbler quilts

Blog Entries
    I have seen a lot of tumbler quilts and really like them. Is there a template you can buy to make them? Or do you just cut them out? And are they easy to make? I would love to try and make one.

Blog Entries
    Hi SherriB, is this what you're looking for?
    http://www.quilterscache.com/T/TumblersBlock.html

:-)

Blog Entries
    Yes! Does anyone make a template like that? I am not crazy about using paper templates. I am a fairly new quilter and just don't trust myself to cut accurately without a template yet.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    Yes! Does anyone make a template like that? I am not crazy about using paper templates. I am a fairly new quilter and just don't trust myself to cut accurately without a template yet.
    You can buy template plastic fairly cheaply - I order mine from the UK and it's the equivalent of a couple of dollars for a large sheet. I have templates that I've used again and again. I guess you could probably find it at Jo Ann's. :D

Blog Entries
    You can also get the template plastic at Walmart, or Hobby Lobby. Just trace the pattern shape on to it, and you're good to go! :-)

Blog Entries
    The ***easy*** way to make a tumbler quilt is to buy an Accuquilt Go! or Studio die cutter. They have two sizes of tumblers and you can cut anywhere from 4 to 10 tumblers at a time. The corners are nipped off, making them very easy to match and sew. The downside to this, of course, is the cost of the die cutting system.

Here is a link to a Yahoo! email list about the die cutting system:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/accucutquilters/
    The photo section has several tumbler quilts.
    If you are interested in that system, be sure to read the old messages on the group to find out how to get the die cutter for considerably less than suggested retail. (I got mine at http://www.shoppersrule.com when they had a free shipping offer.)

http://myworld.ebay.com/lasercutsjust4u/ ia an e-bay seller who offers one. Those die cutters are way to pricey for some of us.

Blog Entries
    Doesn't Karen Coombs (not sure if I am spelling her name correctly) sell this on her website?

The pictures of the finished quilts on Quilters Cache are awesome! Makes me want to get out my scraps... :D

Blog Entries
    I had a tumbler ruler made at the glass shop out of 1/8" pexiglass. I drew the size I wanted on paper and it was cut. I think he charged me $6, maybe less. You may want several sizes cut at one time. Now I have the Go die cutter and the tumbler die was one of the first I bought for it.

Blog Entries
    Forgot to say, have the 'ears' cut off the ruler/template. That will save you so much time.

You can get clear (or grid ruled) thin plastic sheets for cutting out templates at JoAnn Fabrics. I got one for 99 cents or $1.99. it's 12" x 18", so you have room to cut more than one or to re-cut if you make a mistake.

Find a template online, resize it in Windows Paint (using the Image menu, either the Stretch/Skew or the Attributes option) and print it out. Tape it to the plastic and cut.

Blog Entries
    Moonpi,

Thanks fo the link. I checked her store and she didn't have any templates but I was able to find one on Ebay. I hope it is what I am looking for.

Blog Entries
    Take your drawing of the template to a place like Tap Plastic. They make plastic things, signs and the like. It is pretty inexpensive and they don't bend.

I'm pretty sure you can buy the diamond shaped template for this at JoAnn's. It may even be the same template as the one for the Lone Star.

I buy poster board at the dollar store...I cut about 6 templates and that should get you through a quilt,,,,no need to go get this or that...At 3 sheets for a dollar can't beat it and you can store it under the mattress. :D :wink:

Power Poster
    Gasp - some people even draw what they want on - what's that old stuff? - graph paper - and then cut it out and paste it on the template plastic - can even use a plastic lid - and add 1/4 inch to the drawing and cut it out for a pattern/template.

Hello tring to find a free pattern for tumbler star. would anyone here know where I could find one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SherriB
    I usually go to my local glass shop with a to-scale drawing of what I want (incl the 1/4" seam allowance) and he cuts 1/8" plastic for me.
    A lot cheaper than buying quilting templates - at most, a couple of bucks

Blog Entries
    I found this link. Not sure if it what you are looking for:

http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co.../TSScrappy.htm. Also sent a PM to you.

Found the same pattern but not scrappy.

http://www.victorianaquiltdesigns.co...uredFabric.htm

Yes, thank you. but how would I make a template from these two great designs. I finished a quilt top for my youngest son, and said the patterned was to busy for him. I think he will like these two patterns. I know I do. I am finishing up a quilt top for my oldest son. He graduates from engineering school Dec. 11. Oh we are so proud of him. I had made a blanket for him and the colors he loved, and asked if I could make a quilt with similar colors for him, and it is turning out just fab.
    Thanks so for answering my question. I have no one to work with.
    Connie T.

I am making a tumbler quilt now, and am using the wider end of my Easy Dresden template. I cut strips of fabric 3.5 inches wide, then use the wider end of the template to cut the tumbers. It goes really quick, and the template is nice and sturdy.

Easy Dresden Template
    Name:  Attachment-179605.jpe
Views: 903
Size:  10.1 KB

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Missouri Quilt Company has one, I bought one and used it. The tumblers arent too large or small....in fact you can use it with charms

Quote Originally Posted by Knot Sew
    I buy poster board at the dollar store...I cut about 6 templates and that should get you through a quilt,,,,no need to go get this or that...At 3 sheets for a dollar can't beat it and you can store it under the mattress. :D :wink:
    I made a tumbler quilt, many years ago after seeing one at a quilt show, and I probably used the cardboard from a cereal box. Now-a-days I cut my templates from the side of a plastic gallon size milk jug. It's easy to see through it and it's sturdy enough to last through several quilts. I have been using this type of template, in the shape of a hexagon, to make a fussy cute 'I Spy' quilt for my grandchildren.

I place the template on the fabric, draw around it with a pen or white chalk pencil. Then I roughly cut close to but not on the drawn lines. When I get a stack of these shapes I use my little cutting mat and a small ruler and then rotary cut them on the drawn lines. I don't like to feel rushed when I make a quilt so this method works for me. This is a relaxing way to cut them out and wouldn't be a good method if you want to make the quilt quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by BMP
    Missouri Quilt Company has one, I bought one and used it. The tumblers arent too large or small....in fact you can use it with charms
    I bought the same one. Well worth the cost. I've been able to use up a lot ofscraps with it , too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast