Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Templates - what is your favorite or useless one??

Templates - what is your favorite or useless one??

Every time I look at a quilting video, I see a new template...are these various & sundry templates necessary? Do they make you a better piecing person or once bought, do they languish in the pile of stuff that you wish you had saved your money on? If you have purchased one that you cannot live without, please let us know what it is.
    Last edited by cstout; 06-27-2013 at 10:12 AM.

The only templates I've actually used (as opposed to inherited or purchased) are the ones I got from Rhonda ( or is it Ronda) on this board.
    At some point I'm sure I will use the others - maybe. . .when I get brave enough to tackle curves. Lol!

Power Poster
    I finally found my X block ruler. It has neat designs I can hardly wait to try. Could I have made one myself, probably but it wasn't that much. Love my Twister as well as my 60* triangle ruler. Again I could have used or made them myself but it is easier to just buy them.

I have many I haven't used, but I have used my Twister ruler and some of the Marti Michell templates---just love those!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The useless ones are the ones I haven't gotten around to using but I guess they have potential.

I only have the starmaker 5, 6, and 8. Plus the Flynn double wedding ring templates. I haven't seen a need for other templates. I have a 3.5 x 24" ruler (broken down to about 19 inches), and a curvy ruler for a specific block that hasn't been used for anything else. I think a twister ruler/template could be useful. You need to have at least one ruler, and it has most of the angles that you could need, except for the starmaker 5. (I'm fascinated by 5 pt stars, 10 pt stars. .) I would buy all that i have again, except the curvy ruler.

Blog Entries
    it kind of depends on 'your' quilting *habit*..do you tend to make the same kind of quilts over & over? such as storm at sea- if only making one once and do not plan to ever make another one=then It would be a waste to purchase the special rulers/templates---If you love that pattern & plan to make many variations of it then it is worth it to buy the specialty tools. I only buy the ones that I know I will use many times- and they do generally make the 'process' easier.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I wanted to make the Unbeweavable X-Block quilt. The template cost $20 and the pattern cost $11, plus shipping.

It seems like a lot of money to spend. I just can't justify the expense. There must be a market for these templates, but it does not include me.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

I have quite a few rulers, and a few templates. I love the tumbler shape template. I have actually 3 of them, a mini, one that fits a 5" charm square, and one that is even larger. The more specialty rulers are helpful, but I wouldn't buy them until you are sure you need one. The most useful would be the triangle rulers, and the Tri-recs rulers. If it is something you are only going to use once, maybe see if you could borrow from someone, or try to find a way to make your own.

I would be embarrassed to say how many rulers I have...but I do use them. The only thing I am slowly going from Omnigrid to the Creative Grid rulers. Though I may have all of those I want. I bought the Twister a while back and have not yet used it but really do want to. I love my 8 x 24 inch, my 6 x 6, and my 6 by 12....I use these a LOT. I have the 20 inch square and only use it occasionally, but boy, it does come in handy. Also have the 9 and 12 inch squares and use then occasionally.

I think the biggest waste for me was the square in a square ruler. I played with it just a little bit and it has just lain down there ever since.

Power Poster
    I found the 6 1/2 inch X block ruler for $18. It was on a shop hop that had 20% off your purchase so I was happy hopper!

Blog Entries
    I love gadgets but for some reason telates never interested me. I have a shop of rulers and I have use nearly all. 2 creative grid rulers not used as I have et had a pattern which needs them( they were a free gift)
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    i have a drawer full of specialty templates. if i ever stop moving around, i WILL get to them! the only one i feel is useless is the one that cuts the corners off to help match up pieces.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

go to a glass shop and have them cut out some templates from plexi glass or a sheet metal shop and get some cut.

I have a brother with a glass shop and I work where there is a sheet metal shop, so I have tons and tons for templates

[QUOTE=reginalovesfabric;6148147]go to a glass shop and have them cut out some templates from plexi glass or a sheet metal shop and get some cut.

I have a brother with a glass shop and I work where there is a sheet metal shop, so I have tons and tons for templates[/QUOTE

I'm with "Reginalovesfabirc" I have a couple books of sampler quilts that use a lot of templates so I went to the glass shop and ask for some scrap of plexi glass and made them. the cost was a trip to the glass shop [had to go get grocers an way] and the time for me to copy the template onto the plexi glass and cut it out. I'm plan another trip to the glass shop have use up all my scraps.
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

Blog Entries
    I don't feel guilty at all buying specialty rulers or templates. All I have will never add up to the cost of the cable sport package. When that goes then I'll cut back. LOL.
    I found the ones suggested to use do make it easier to make the pattern.
    Got fabric?

Bought the x block ruler and never used it.
    Have the quilt as you go rulers and use the smaller one because it is 7 in and sometimes need that size.
    My best buy is Quilt In A Days triangle square up ruler. It is wonderful.

So far the only one i regret buying is the apple core. i did make a table runner but really didn't enjoy it.
    Gave it to a young(but gifted) quilter in our 4H club that needed a challenge. It frustrated her at first but she mastered it so my purchase wasn't a total waste

I did several $5 quilts at the LQS (you pay $5 for the first block, and if you make the block and take it to the meeting each month, you get the next block free), and they all required the Marti Mitchell template sets. Since the LQS has stopped doing them, the templates sit in their little bags taking up space. One template that I didn't buy, because I thought it would really be a waste of money, was the log cabin template.

I have two of the 60 degree templates (for use in OBW and hexagon quilts) and the Tri-recs, which I have used in two quilts. I have one of the binding templates, but have never used it. I have looked at the twister template, but decided I'd probably never make one. It just seems like too much wasted fabric for me. If I ever decide to do a double wedding ring or a drunkard's path, I will definitely get the templates for those, but I don't like doing curves, so they aren't even on my bucket list. I bought the dresden plate template, and I have used that to make a tablerunner.

Blog Entries
    I guess I think differently. If I use a ruler or template just once that is okay with me. Silly to fret over something like that. That's why I bought it, to use making the pattern I wanted to make at the time.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I found the 6 1/2 inch X block ruler for $18. It was on a shop hop that had 20% off your purchase so I was happy hopper!
    I have been fascinated w/X block template too, but have hesitated in buying it. I love templates, but have noticed lately how very expensive they are getting.............like really $18 for a 6 1/2" piece of plexi..........wish I could cut my own.

I agree Michell's templates are too expensive and having to cut those little pieces off the points to make them "match' seems silly to me (personal opinion here). I have a ton of different templates....some are useful, some were a waste of money-my weak moment.........but I was tempted recently to buy the twister template, but then was on Anita Grossman Solomon's website and somewhere in there she shows how to do it with just a four patch and then mark the square template with marker and recut.....hmmmm, have to go back and find it now.........I will never attempt the DWR, but drunkards path and winding ways and apple core....I have the GO cutter and they are a breeze to work with using the die cutter!!!!! but I do love gadgets!!!!!!! When I "used" my kitchen......had very kitch gadget possible.....even if I used it once a year, I had it and it made that project easier....same mindset for quilting for me.......

Quote Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
    I wanted to make the Unbeweavable X-Block quilt. The template cost $20 and the pattern cost $11, plus shippin

It seems like a lot of money to spend. I just can't justify the expense. There must be a market for these templates, but it does not include me.
    Take heart in knowing that it cost me twice as much. I used it once because I can't match my points as accurately as I like them to be with this tool. Perhaps with practice, but my disappointment makes me move on.

I just recently found Ink Lingo www. Inklingo.com. The patterns are printed on fabric. Once you buy the shape you can use it over and over for many many different quilts. I can see a lot of my templates and rulers not being used unless I want to make something they don't have the patterns for. I just recently bought the shape 3 CD which will make over 300 hexagons plus many other patterns. I have been playing.

Blog Entries
    I too would be embarrassed to say how many rulers I have,how many squares diamonds ect, and it is not a problem for me, it took me 20 or more to collect them all, and now when I need a special one, chances are I have it.
    dare to dream

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast