Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tendrils >

Tendrils

Tendrils

Old 05-25-2018, 02:50 AM

Thanks, Dunster, for the link - I learned something!
Old 05-25-2018, 04:14 AM

Then try Hungarian Braided Chain Stitch. Works up lovely. You will have to look it up for directions. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:32 AM

Perhaps I'm not following Quiltlove.....I take the bias strip, fold in half, machine sew the raw edge slightly to the left of the vine line drawn on the quilt, then fold the bias vine over the line to the right and hand stitch the folded side down.....no turning of raw edge, you have it already, with the fold on your hand stitching side of the vine. Hope that makes sense.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Dunster, thanks for the link that was fascinating to watch. I love everything Yoko does. She is amazing.

Jacqueck, you can make your own bias strips if you want to, it is really quite easy. I have made them as skinny as 1/10" using heat resistant wire ties or Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Stems (which are nothing more than heat resistant wire ties!). Any auto parts store and possibly Harbor Freight would have them and for a lot less $ than Karen charges for her set. Here is a link to a you tube video on how she makes them. I don't have any bias strip makers as I find making bias strips is a very easy process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4fEFsiEQns
Old 05-25-2018, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I watched Yoko Saito making vines on youtube yesterday. Her work is exquisite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJ2K4Ynsiw
I watched it too, but I am not coordinated enough to do it her way. I do start out the way she does by stitching down the the folded over bias piece with a small stitch length, and stitching as near to the folded edge as I need to be for my width. I trim the seam allowance as close to the stitching as I can without making it too thin to hold secure. Next, I fold the bias over the previous stitching and (hand or machine) sew it down depending if it needs durability for a child’s quilt or invisible hand stitches for for show quality.

I have also tried Karen Kay Buckley’s method, but to me it was an extra step, and my method is sewn down as it sewed. My method (grandma showed it to me) also makes the width to be whatever size you need, and no limits based on the size tool used.

Last edited by madamekelly; 05-25-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:04 AM

Cut a 3/4" strip on the bias. Fold and press in half. Position and sew about 1/8" along raw edge. Fold remaining fabric over seam line. Machine or hand stitch. Perfect vines.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
Or you can couch them.
I'd just couch some rattail or something similar on for the stems.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:16 PM

Ladies, I think some of you are missing the point. The OP says she knows how to make a bias stem/vine. What she can't figure out is how to make it go in a loop, where the vine crosses over itself.

Have you tried doing it in two steps? Sew down your vine only up to the point where the loop starts, (the blue section of my picture,) leaving the rest of the vine fabric unsewn. Finish that section. Then do the loop over itself.
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2018, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by jacqueck View Post
Two of the blocks have vine tendrils and I can not find how to make them. They are very thin and I can hand applique them...if I only knew how to make them. A bias maker, 1/4" is too wide.

Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
Ladies, I think some of you are missing the point. The OP says she knows how to make a bias stem/vine. What she can't figure out is how to make it go in a loop, where the vine crosses over itself.
Are we reading the same post? She clearly states "If I only knew how to make them".

I agree with Dunster, Yoko Saito makes beautiful stems. I've done it both ways - bias tape maker and Yoko's method. I find Yoko's method is much easier, faster, and I get a much skinnier vine. I adapted her method a bit, I sew the first side of the stem on my machine, then fold it over and sew by hand.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594911[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails yoko-stems.jpg  

Last edited by Peckish; 05-25-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Are we reading the same post? She clearly states "If I only knew how to make them".
Originally Posted by jacqueck View Post
Yep, I do that [technique] with stems and slightly curved vines, it's the loopy (2 or 3) that I can't figure how to do. Seems the tiny vine would have to be finished then forced into the loops. I can't seem to get the fine thin enough to curl.
This is the post I was referring to.