Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tension issues... >

Tension issues...

Tension issues...

Old 11-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Banned

I have a singer, 1027 and okay, its not the most expensive singer on the market, in fact it’s most likely one of the cheapest. I don’t know, it was given to me by my grandparents who used it but it sat for a few years. They got it at walmart or something on sale at about 80-100$? I dunno. Anyway, I spent 68$ a while ago on a problem that didn’t exist(I threaded the bobbin wrong can you tell I’m just brilliant with sewing machines) and I accidently used hand quilting on it. Anyway, I was quilting tonight and I decided to switch to sewing something else. Yes, there were a few knots in the stitches but nothing seriously bad looking. Then, the looping, birds nesting etc. I tried changing the tension, haven’t threaded or re-threaded the bobbin yet… but, should I just give it up or something? Is it the machine, or is it me?
Thanks
Emily
Old 11-24-2008, 08:56 PM

Spending 68$ on a problem that didn't exist?
I would put my money towards a better machine...
Just my 2stitches...
K
Old 11-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Power Poster

I would try winding another bobbin and re threading the machine. Do you have the manual ? Sometimes that will give you suggestions on which way to adjust the tension. good Luck , I know how frustrating tension problems can be :x

Sharon
Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 PM

Maybe you have lint that needs to be cleaned out under the bobbin area. That could make it have problems too.
I had a Singer my mom and dad bought for me years ago. Just sewed and did nothing fancy...one of those $80 ones from Walmart. It was a great machine and I gave it to a lady who wanted a machine to teach her daughter to sew, but didn't have the extra money for a new machine. Since I was buying a new one, I just gave her mine.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:08 AM

Sounds like a problem I had and it was my bobbin in backwards! Hope it's as easy as that! Good luck! :D
Old 11-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Izy

I was having terrible problems with my tension whilst free motion sewing...I had lots of eyelashes on the underside where the top thread was being pulled down and making lovely eyelashes on the curves...

I had to crank up my needle tension to 7.0 from preset of 3.4, works great then, no more thinking about slowing down on the curves etc., hope this helps :D
Old 11-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Administrator

i agree with the others. when i build birds' nests it's usually one or more of the following:

- time for a new needle (i have no idea why a dull needle would cause the problem, but ... i don't really understand quantum physics, either, so what do i know? :lol: )

- bobbin in backward
- top threaded incorrectly

- time to clean the shmutz out of the bobbin case. sometimes, it's necessary to take it apart to make sure i've found and cleared all the gunk

- wrong size needle for the thread i'm using

as to having previously spent so much on a problem you didn't have ... unless the repairman gave your machine thorough maintenance service before returning it to you, i'd make sure to never go to that shop again. i paid that much recently to have one of my older machines serviced. i think that's waaaaaay too much, but it runs better now than the day i took it out of the box, brand new. no way i'd get a new machine that does all this one does for $68.50, so i keep trying to convince myself it was a fair price after all. :roll:
Old 11-25-2008, 02:19 AM

This just happen to me . Clean bobbin case, change needle ( should change every 8hr of sewing anyway), rethread top (some times it comes out of the tension slot. ). After I did this it worked fine.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:52 AM

Get it all nice and clean and oiled. Rewind the bobbbin and rethread the machine and put in a new needle. If all of this does not work; gradually up the needle tension. I never touch the bobbin tension because it is a big pain to fix. If you have used a speciality thread in your bobbin case you may have to adjust it. I have a "spare" bobbin case for speciality threads. I only use regualr sewing thread in my main bobbin case. I painted a dot of red finger nail polish on the "spare" case. If all the above fails you may have to take the machine in to have the tension fixed. Sometimes the disks or springs need to be replaced. Get a quote before letting them fix it.
Connie
Old 11-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Banned

Thanks for all of your replies, it was the bobbin. And, the 68 was more for repairing and tuning it up, it worked a lot better afterwards.