Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tension knob issue Juki TL2000Qi >

tension knob issue Juki TL2000Qi

tension knob issue Juki TL2000Qi

Old 01-04-2023, 05:54 PM

Default tension knob issue Juki TL2000Qi

I use a Juki TL2000Qi on a Grace frame, meaning the machine sits on a sled and I FMQ cotton and flannel quilts. I have had the machine for 2.5 years and purchased it specifically to use with the frame.
The problem is with the upper tension knob.It seems to be very sensitive and with the slightest bump (so slight I don't always realize I bumped it) and it starts bird nesting. This has been a continuing problem for the whole time I've had this machine. I just spent an hour ripping out a whole row of quilting because I didn't realize that it had happened again. I'm ready to trade this thing in. I'm a home quilter and would prefer not to spend thousands on a computerized machine, but being paranoid about every stitch is no fun.
I've read through the forum and see that many people have reported tension issues with Juki, but also with Jazz II which is what I'm considering trading in my Juki for.
Please advise me wise quilters.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:47 PM

I think before I dumped my old machine and bought a new one, I'd see if there's something wrong with the old one first. Have you taken it in for service, cleaning, repair? I have a longarm and the check springs DO wear out and need replacing.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:40 AM

Here's a crazy thought... The older Juki TL's had a second tensioner above the main tension. Try wrapping the thread around the bobbin tensioner, clock-wise, instead of putting it through the guide hole under the bobbin tensioner. I've seen this work for using heavier threads.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:42 AM

Have you looked at any of the YouTube videos by Jukie Junkies. They have several on the tension of the TL series machines and replacing parts on machines. There is also a Facebook page called Jukie Junkies and there is lots of info there provided by Juki machine owners and the staff at Juki Junkies is extremely helpful anwering questions even if you didn't purchase your machine from them. I have a TL2010Q on my Grace Cutie frame and have not experienced the problem you mentioned so it may be that the tension knob has never worked properly.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Three Dog Night View Post
Have you looked at any of the YouTube videos by Jukie Junkies. They have several on the tension of the TL series machines and replacing parts on machines. There is also a Facebook page called Jukie Junkies and there is lots of info there provided by Juki machine owners and the staff at Juki Junkies is extremely helpful anwering questions even if you didn't purchase your machine from them. I have a TL2010Q on my Grace Cutie frame and have not experienced the problem you mentioned so it may be that the tension knob has never worked properly.
Yes. I belong to the FB page for Juki Junkies and posted on that page asking for help/suggestions last week before posting here. Didn't receive any replies, not even from Gigi. I have also watched the videos about tensioning and was hopeful, but then the problem recurred.
Although I am mechanically inclined and frequently repair all sorts of stuff myself, buying a new tension set and installing it is not something I'm thrilled about doing since I have seen several posts with people reporting tension issues on the TL machines.
As another poster mentioned, it might be that the tensioner has never worked properly which means taking it to a repair shop. I have also tried using the pretensioner wrapped 3 times (works better with fine threads) and or wrapping the thread through it going counterclockwise but then I have too much tension and the thread keeps breaking.
It's starting to look like I have tried every thing I possibly could at home short of taking it in for repair.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:27 AM

That machine looks nearly identical to the Brother 1500. There is a FB group for the Brother 1300/1500 and the BabyLock Jane machines, and in the file section of the page, there are both owner's manuals AND service manuals. The service manual has instructions for repairing everything on the machine. I wonder if there's a group for your Juki that also has the service manual.
Old 01-06-2023, 10:37 AM

Thank you! I quickly found a service manual and will see if I can find a solution to this issue.
If not, there is an industrial sewing machine company nearby that also services domestic machines. They have multiple excellent reviews online and a reputation for treating customers respectfully.
Old 01-07-2023, 02:32 PM

Just had another thought.... Is it only happening when you go from right to left? With the rotation of a rotary bobbin, moving the machine right to left, there's a physics thing that happens (even on my longarm). And that's when we get unexpected nesting on the bottom. I can turn my needle counter-clock-wise just a little, and it corrects the problem. You can't do that with your machine because the needle has a "flat" on the back that keeps it straight.

I wish they could make an oscillating hook that could go as fast as a longarm needs to go.

Another thought is that there could be a burr on the hook or on the "finger" that holds the race in place. Also, sometimes the "finger" is pushed in too far, and doesn't allow the thread to pass through smoothly.

Good Luck! I hope you get it figured out.