Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tension messes up when I attach my walking foot >

Tension messes up when I attach my walking foot

Tension messes up when I attach my walking foot

Old 12-28-2013, 03:19 PM

Just a thought maybe you have the wrong walking foot for you machine I did that once and did realize it for a while Hope you figure it out soon
Old 12-28-2013, 04:27 PM

You said you rethreaded your Bobbin. I don't have that Machine, but I've had that issue with other feet. Somehow the thread in bobbin gets kicked out where you have to put it under the tension slot. Just a thought. Good Luck, I know it's frustrating.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:49 PM

The same problem used to happen to me with other brand machines. It was as if the machine was used to using the regular foot and did not like it when I switched. It would work fine for a bit with the walking foot then would act up. At the same time I believe it was not the original walking foot to the machine.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:23 PM

Is the walking foot made for your machine? Have you used it before? I tried using a foot on my machine made for another brand and had the same problem.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 PM

I have a viking machine and this is also happening to me with the walking foot. I think maybe my walking foot is no good any more and I am going to the dealer and find out.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:36 PM

I had a similar problem and discovered it was a multiple problem. First of all my presser foot pressure needed adjusted for the thickness of what I was sewing. And secondly when I had rethreaded the top I had somehow missed the proper spot between the tension discs and as soon as I corrected that all was well.
Hope this helps!
Old 12-28-2013, 11:30 PM

Have you tried looking at a leah day tute she has plenty of ideas for problems.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:08 AM

Check again to be sure your walking foot is attached correctly, because very often, it is not.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Pam726 View Post
I am trying to use my walking foot to sew the layers together and finish my quilt. When I attach it, the bottom tension gets loose. I have changed my needle, re-threaded the needle, spooled a new bobbin with thread and I cannot find the problem. I have my tension set between 5 and 6 and usually don't have to mess with it. I finished a quilt last summer and the stitching was beautiful with that tension. In trying to rule everything out, I re-attached the all purpose foot and the stitches are fine. When I attach the walking foot, they go loose. I started to adjust the tension and when I do, my bottom thread starts showing on the top and the bottom thread is still loose! Ughhh! I know my walking foot is attached right. I have went back and watched videos just for giggles to make sure I didn't miss something obvious. I can't figure this out. Any help would be awesome! I would really like to finish this quilt!
Not the thread tension that should be readjusted...it's the foot one.......on both my babylock and Viking there is a knob that controls the foot tension...default on both is 6 when using walking foot it is changed to 4 ......that is what the directions that came w/ foot recommended....thread tensions should remain as default.....
Old 12-29-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pam726 View Post
I am trying to use my walking foot to sew the layers together and finish my quilt. When I attach it, the bottom tension gets loose. I have changed my needle, re-threaded the needle, spooled a new bobbin with thread and I cannot find the problem. I have my tension set between 5 and 6 and usually don't have to mess with it. I finished a quilt last summer and the stitching was beautiful with that tension. In trying to rule everything out, I re-attached the all purpose foot and the stitches are fine. When I attach the walking foot, they go loose. I started to adjust the tension and when I do, my bottom thread starts showing on the top and the bottom thread is still loose! Ughhh! I know my walking foot is attached right. I have went back and watched videos just for giggles to make sure I didn't miss something obvious. I can't figure this out. Any help would be awesome! I would really like to finish this quilt!
I have also had this problem recently. It does not happen all the time which makes it even more frustrating!

I have a Brother XR9500PRW and my walking foot is the correct Brother model. When using the walking foot the stitches start the right length and then sometimes get much smaller after sewing a few inches. The tension problem and the stitch length issue are driving me mad!