Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which tension is off? >

Which tension is off?

Which tension is off?

Old 05-26-2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I'm using a walking foot already. My bobbin stitches aren't showing. My fabric is curling into a 'C'. I can pull the stitches and straighten out the fabric but I lose my stitches on each end of the fabric. It just started happening five days ago. I'm not doing anything differently than I did before. I'm just piecing two pieces of fabric together. I have 50 wt. thread in top and bobbin but one is Presencia thread and one is Aurifil. Does that make a difference? Should it both be the same?
Check the bobbin. Take the bobbin assembly out and check the tension adjusting spring. It is the part the thread feeds to and catches the top thread. Sometimes there is a tiny speck of lint. Just that tiny speck will mess up the stitching. Also run some UNWAXED dental floss through where your top thread is snaked around and about.

Doing this could possibly save you a $200.00 service bill.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
........... I have 50 wt. thread in top and bobbin but one is Presencia thread and one is Aurifil. Does that make a difference? Should it both be the same?
So then, try it with matching threads!

Both may be 50 wt, but being different brands they are not the SAME.
So try both top/bottom with Aurifil and see what happens.

By now, you have probably messed around with the settings enough that you'd be best to send your machine back to the factory default and start again. Amazingly that may be all it takes!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:19 AM

Mine does something like that when I have the thread (from the needle) wrapped around the foot - usually just pull the thread loose and its ok. I hope its something easy like that.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:11 AM

How about your stitch length, sounds too long?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:48 AM

I had a similar problem a while back. Ironically, I think I was using Aurifil in the bobbin and Presencia in the top, but that wasn't the problem. I cleaned it, re-threaded, put in a new bobbin. Nothing worked so I took it in for a service. Something had broken inside the machine, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was now. I was back to sewing a day later.

I use Aurifill for almost all my bobbins, but only sometimes for the top. It's never been a problem for me.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
I am not sure, but when my machine seems out of wack, even though I am still sewing the "same" material, same thread, etc.. I clean my machine thoroughly, you know with the vacuum and all. I then rethread and sew again. In all cases this has fixed it. Think it has something to do with a build up of lint in top and bottom thread channels.
I agree with this - when my machine does not seem to work right all of a sudden I rethread everything and usually the problem is solved. Makes no sense to me. I clean my machine real good and change the needle at the end of each completed project. That way I know it has been done and when.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Jamie Wallen shows how to clean the bobbin tension in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRh...664A7&index=13

It sounds to me as if both tensions are off but, if nothing changed, I would check the bobbin first.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:19 AM
Power Poster

Usually adjusting the top tension will fix it.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:31 AM

To check if tension is out of wack - sew a straight line on the BIAS/Diaginal of a piece of fabric. Then gently pull the stitching by holding both ends. If nothing breaks then the tesnions are equal. If the top thread breaks then the top is too tight and if the bottom breaks then the bottom is too tight. Adjust and try again. IMHO you need to try changing several things- Make sure both bobbin and top thread are the same, Make sure your presser foot is up when threading top thread since a having the foot down will close the upper tension disks causing the upper tension to be off., rethread both bobbin and top.,Check stitch length. Last resort take to repair shop. I NEVER mess with the screw on the bobbin since most tensiuon issues can be fixed other ways.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:55 AM

Sounds like you're holding back the fabric as your machine tries to sew. Be sure your fabric is pressed properly. Pin if you want to, and mark a 1/4" seam with tape on the machine if you need to. You might want to turn down the speed on your machine if you can. But to get it to stretch, there has to be more tension on the fabric than if it were just freely going through the machine, so you may have to analyze what you are doing.