Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
test drove the new Bernina 830 LE >

test drove the new Bernina 830 LE

test drove the new Bernina 830 LE

Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 PM

I have a Viking Diamond (tol at the time) and love it. $11k and extras were thrown in and bought others. Wouldn't trade it for anything. I live in my sewing room, learning quilting, and have been doing ME on this one for about 5yrs. Don't knock it til you try it is sure right! Have friends with lesser machines (no insult, just sayin') and would not be happy with them. Love my big big 14" square hoop, love my needle threader, cutter, etc. Love the big throat, great for quilting, love the way it stitches, love the touch screen, love the way I can edit on the screen, just plain love it! Only thing I don't like is I can't sew while it is embroidering, so I bought a little $200 machine so I can hem a pair of pants if the mood strikes. Would only trade up for a Babylock 10 needle with camera if I win lottery, but friends with 4, 6 and 10 needles can't figure out how to do applique and in the hoop projects without lots of programing, so changing the thread ain't so bad! Linda
Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM

I too felt that way about the 830, but I had only sewn on it once at a festival teaching new embroidery software. Last year, I was looking for a better set up for my Bernina frame, and made the decision to get the 820 that does not have the embroidery, but every other feature and thousands less. I love it and feel it is worth every penny. The only problem with it is there is not two of them, as I can not sew on it if I am using it for quilting. It all comes down to what machine works for you and what price tag you can justify, and each of us has different opinions on it. Me, I do not like sewing on anything but a Bernina because of the tension and will pay what I need to get the Bernina that will meet my needs. I do have to agree on getting a warranty, the bigger the price tag, the larger the cost of repair.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

All I have to say is buy the machine that will do what you want it to do.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
If you don't know, then maybe you should try one before making negative comments? I feel I deserved it and could afford it. Simple as that!
Good for you for speaking up, Candace! I don't have the 830, but I do have a 730, and just love it! We shouldn't have to justify ourselves to others, and all should take care to be kind. BTW, I teach beginning quilters and can I tell you, you get what you pay for! I have many people who have started out with $99 or $199 machines from big box stores and they just don't have the power to handle quilting in most cases. Also, when something goes wrong, it usually can't be fixed. In fact, some technicians won't even work on them. A Bernina can be fixed and will last a lifetime! Happy sewing!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Since when are we not allowed to have an opinion on this board? I said what I meant to say, and I stand by it. It's your right just as it's mine to disagree with your opinions. I bought a long arm because I felt like I deserved it AND I could afford it as well...what difference does it make in the long run (except to me)? Answer....NONE. Enjoy your Bernina.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:57 PM

My hat's off to all that can afford to buy these machines. If I had the money I would do the same and that is why I never test drive any machines that don't have a price tag in view -- can't miss what you don't know, lol!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:27 AM

Wanting one and deserving one: no problem. I love all the thing it can do. Love the large hoop. Love the wide throat. Love the dual feed feet, the BSR, etc, etc. I bought my current Bernina from my local dealer as a used machine. It was one year old and had been traded for an upgrade. It came with warranty from the dealer and I've never had a minute's trouble with it. A machine like the 830 I would want to buy used from a dealer, knowing they've gone through it and will back it up for awhile, but they do have some serious floor model sales once a year. Maybe if I'm motivated enough, I will save to buy it next year.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:32 AM

I do need to test drive a long arm at some point. They intimidate me right now, plus the embroidery feature would be so much fun with grandchildren coming soon. I didn't mean to spark a feud. I just wanted to share my excitement. I test drove an Audi A4 when car shopping. LOVED IT! Bought a Chevy Cruz. Reality, ya know?