Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thai Fabric >

Thai Fabric

Thai Fabric

Old 09-25-2016, 05:46 AM

Default Thai Fabric

I want to make a quilt for a friend who is from Thailand as a surprise.....I've been looking for Thai fabric, but most of it seems to be woven and I don't think it wd be appropriate for a quilt...I hv a lot of Asian fabrics, but the Thai designs seem to be different....Does anyone hv any advice where I cd find cotton Thai fabric or any fabrics with Thai designs that aren't woven....Thanks for your help.....
Old 09-25-2016, 06:24 AM

I found some here:

http://www.spoonflower.com/shop?avai...i&view=designs

Our cotton fabrics are woven. Are you talking about a different type of weave?
Old 09-25-2016, 08:44 AM

I think I would take a slightly different approach. I would google search images of Thai art to get an idea of colors and shapes. Then I would google image search Thai clip art b/c those are usually more simplified versions or shapes. I would chose one or more as inspiration for designing or modifying a quilt block or applique or idea.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:53 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Do you want to use traditional Thai designs or Hmong designs? There are a number of fabrics of both types on eBay and on etsy.

I assume by by woven, you mean handwoven. Handwoven fabric will be a little more difficult to work with, but probably no more difficult than homespun plaids. Just starch heavily.

Last edited by Krisb; 09-25-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:35 AM

You might find something of interest at the St. Louis shop's online site: http://www.quiltedfox.com/shop/Fabri...ory/Asian-.htm
Old 09-27-2016, 05:47 AM

Thank everyone for the info on Thai fabrics....I think I know now which direction to go....
Old 09-29-2016, 03:24 AM

I made a quilt for a friend who lives in the UK and I spent months hunting for fabric that was typically English in design. I couldn't find any that I was happy with, then one day I realised that I didn't want to make her a quilt that was English in design if she was from the UK, I wanted to make her a quilt that was from Africa, where I was from. And African fabrics were easy to find in Africa instead of trying to find English fabrics in Africa. I finally chose a beautiful Shweshwe and was so happy with the results. Now every time she looks at the quilt, she will be reminded of her friend who lives in Africa.