Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thank You Jane Quilter and all who responded to her post >

Thank You Jane Quilter and all who responded to her post

Thank You Jane Quilter and all who responded to her post

Old 07-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Default Thank You Jane Quilter and all who responded to her post

I have just finished my first commissioned quilt! I had it hand quilted by a local Amish lady. She used the dreaded Blue Pen to mark. I spritzed and most came out, I thought. Then oh my! It had migrated to the back. Panic set in! Because the quilt is a Mariner's Star in purples with a white background so everything showed up. So I came to the Board and searched Synthrapol, ReTayne and found Jane's post about her lovely king-sized Jacob's Ladder quilt. I had managed to miss that the first time around. I read nearly every word of every post. Put the quilt down in a Dawn soak for overnight. Got up at 4 a.m. to pull the plug so it would drain, and then I saw pink stuff. Panic really set in and I nearly had a heart attack because I had actually pre-washed this time. All that work and my mind turned to "what will I do now?". Drenched it again with Dawn. Then went to my DDILs house to use her big top loader washer as I only have a front loader. First washed in Dawn with color catchers. The color catcher turned out white. Then I used regular laundry soap. That. Quilt. Is. Washed! Dried for a few minutes and then stretched it out to finish drying. I am so thrilled with the willingness to share all the tragedies and triumphs that people post. Because at 11 o'clock at night, not many stores are open in our rural area, and I am not sure guild members would have appreciated a panic call. So thank you, Jane Quilter and all the lovely ladies and gents that have posted their experiences on this board. I bought Crayola Ultra Clean Markers this morning when in town! Not having this situation again. (Maybe other situations, but not this one.)
Old 07-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

I am so glad that you had a good result.

The members of this board are so willing to share info -
Old 07-18-2017, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

that's why we're called a quilting community. glad the quilt was saved
Old 07-18-2017, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Isn't it grand when that frown turns upside down. Happy result in the end.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:15 PM

Oh, my goodness, panic and distress all the way, for sure--and on a commissioned quilt, no less! Glad it worked out, and yes yes yes, JaneQuilter's post on the gazillion trials and errors of getting red out of hers has made quite an impact on me. Only Crayola Ultra Wash markers for me now. Did you tell the Amish lady what happened? I hope you do so that she knows never to use that again and that you had a devil of a time getting her pen marks out.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:04 PM

Wow - Glad everything turned out good!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

so glad you were able to rescue the quilt. I try to use dawn on my things. I once had pencil marks show thru. does anyone know what to do about that?Should I try Dawn?
Old 07-19-2017, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
so glad you were able to rescue the quilt. I try to use dawn on my things. I once had pencil marks show thru. does anyone know what to do about that?Should I try Dawn?
Definitely try Dawn on the pencil lines. You might need to scrub a little with an old toothbrush but I've had luck with that process when I got a little 'heavy handed' in my markings on white fabric (ouch!).
Old 07-19-2017, 04:37 AM

So glad it work out well! I can only imagine the panic after so much work. I agree, there is nothing like the advice found here on the QB!

Just an idea, with all the 'back to school' sales, I'm thinking I'm going to try to find some sales on the Crayola Ultra-washable marks! I have some, but I might stock up!

Last edited by NZquilter; 07-19-2017 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Added comment
Old 07-19-2017, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I have successfully removed pencil marks with this product, SewClean. Some quilt stores carry it. It can be ordered online. It is a tad expensive.