Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thank you

Blog Entries

Red face Thank you

Thank you for all your ideas to do while recuperating after an operation. Doing fine better than expected and onto my new quilt project. Japanese puzzle. I am stuck .does anyone know how to join. I have a set of instructions but still not able to follow. First set to join fine, what and how do I join next?
    Finished is better than a UFO

MTS
    Banned
    If you're doing the very traditional JP block (I know there are some faux patterns out there):

The middle seams of each block are NOT supposed to match up with the middle seams of the adjoining blocks.

The only thing "matching up" is the intersection of the four patches within a block.
    That's it.

Is that the problem ...you're trying to line them up?

You should join the blocks like you would diamonds....offset by 1/4" (little dog ears) so that after you sew the two blocks together, when you turn the block back, it now creates a straight edge along the top and bottom of the two blocks.

When joining, you treat the four patch as a whole block...don't worry about those middle seams.
    They will offset a little - which they're supposed to - which creates that dynamic pattern.

And you continue on from there.

I can't find my JP wallhanging. And the workpapers from when I taught the class are AWOL (again) as well.

Hope this makes sense to you.
    It's one of my favorite patterns.

eta: Check out close-ups of Twister blocks...same concept, except the JP block is not square.
    Last edited by MTS; 11-10-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Blog Entries
    No. My problem MTS is that when I join some diamonds they are not the same length and therefore no straight edge to join to another pair. I have tried no end of ways.

MTS
    Banned
    We're talking about the 4 patch diamond block, right?
    Not the individual patches?

MTS
    Banned
    I'm just throwing out some questions here.....(no picture so I'm just guessing on what could be the issue)

-Did you cut the patches using templates, or using a sketch of the rhombus on your cutting board?

-When you cut the (solid) piece of fabric into the 4 patches, did you switch diamond patch one with three, and two with four on the blocks before reassembling the pieces for the new 4 patch diamond (made of 4 fabrics) ?

(You pretty much have to cut and rearrange all the blocks and lay them out before sewing the 4 patch blocks.

My first JP was made with batiks - ha! Not so smart - try figuring out where (and how) a patch goes when it falls off the design fall - orientation, right side/wrong side. was a bit challenging, to say the least.)

-The diamonds you made - when you say they're not the same size, could it be because they stretched out of shape because of all the exposed bias?

Really, the last is the only thing that should have an effect on the size of the block

Trying to think of something else.

Any chance you could post a picture of the two blocks?
    Last edited by MTS; 11-11-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    This is the pattern I'm using cheryl.thisbe.org/JapanesePuzzle2.pdf. It is me who is just not clicking with the joining. Instructions.
    Thank you for your help as I am house bound at present due to operation.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    This is the pattern I'm using cheryl.thisbe.org/JapanesePuzzle2.pdf. It is me who is just not clicking with the joining. Instructions.
    Thank you for your help as I am house bound at present due to operation.
    Okay, I'm up.

That pattern is really well-written, and is what I call a real JP (you can see the faux ones done with squares at the end - they look too clunky to my eye).

She cuts and sews the patches together differently than I do, but that shouldn't be affecting putting it together, but we both end up with the same shapes.

(I've got some tips for cutting and sewing your next one, but we'll leave that for another time.)

Are you making a small one like in the pattern, or a bigger wallhanging/quilt?

So I gotta ask...

Are you sure each patch was in the correct position on your design wall before you started sewing?

(It is so easy to swap or accidentally turn around the A's with each other within a block when laying out the pieces.
    It's one of the only quilts I don't chain piece. Can you imagine??!?!!!!!)

Oy.
    If I was sitting next to you, I'm sure I'd be able to see the problem.
    Any chance for pictures?

Where on page 4 did you get to (which photo), and at which exact step is it not working for you?

Blog Entries
    I get as far as joining two different coloured pieces. When I have joined all list this I see they will not fit to make straight lines. Yes I do move and then pin into new places . I try to be so careful and sew one pair at a time. I am making placemats. To begin with. The a1 and a2 are stopped top to bottom b1and b2 go left to right .
    Then I join sorry I'm so thick I think it could be results of the anaesthetic last Wednesday. This is just not like me.

Blog Entries
    Sorry no photoessays run out of batteries.

MTS
    Banned
    Hang on just writing a reply....

MTS
    Banned

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    When I have joined all list this I see they will not fit to make straight lines.
    Then I join sorry I'm so thick .

Stop. You're not thick.
    This pattern is just different than others.
    It's really easy to get off the path.

You need to get batteries, but until then, I'm still going to figure out where things are going wrong.

I hate to repost other's pictures but I want to make sure we're talking the same thing:
    Name:  JapPuzzPg4.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  53.8 KB

You can put the two pieces together into a two-patch without a problem, right?

Is it when you've got the TWO 2-patch units, right sides together that it looks funky?
    Because it's supposed to.

Or is it when you're joining TWO 2-patch units, you sew, open it up and it's not straight?

Again, without pictures, all I can think of is that you're off a row, perhaps, and not sewing the right pieces together.
    But you seem to really understand the pattern so I sort of doubt that's happening.

If it's not any of those, then....

Tomorrow get some batteries- take them out of the remote if you have to ;-)
    Post some pictures.
    I'm determined to figure it out.

Blog Entries
    I'm not very good at this so here goes. Picture of shapes cut out and placed. No 2 should show cut out and in position to sewin blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MTS
    Banned
    Good morning!

Glad you have the pics.
    The 2nd one is turned around so give me a second to see what's going on.

MTS
    Banned
    Pictures are so very helpful.
    Although I sort of gasped when I first saw it until I realized the 2nd picture was flipped.
    I got a chuckle out of that (especially with this pattern).

Funny thing, though, you were sewing them together the way I do, which is a bit different than Jenny's method.
    Not that it matters for this.

You didn't mention exactly which pieces are not fitting so this is what I'm thinking (I hope I'm close).

Name:  dottymo2-1.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  140.6 KB

Here's the deal.....I'm assuming that the 4 blocks in the middle - surrounded by the GREEN line - are OK, and go together.
    Unless there was something wrong with the cutting of the templates, it looks fine....I even tracked the pattern on the dark fabric to make sure it didn't get turned around.
    Again, looks fine.
    If you're having the problem there, I would check each piece against the template to make sure it's cut correctly.

If you look at the RED circles, those would NOT go together easily as you have placed them because you're missing the side triangles.

If you go back to the Jenny's pattern, you'll see the bottom pic on pg3 has the outer blocks (which are only 3-patches) surrounding the middle blocks.
    These get trimmed down later when squaring the finished piece.
    These blocks don't need the 4th patch.

You didn't have 3 patch in all the right places, and started matching pairs with what you did have.

The diamonds with a BLUE 'x" through them are removed (or if you're careful, see next step), as they're not needed.

The PINK drawn in (poorly, I admit) diamonds mark where you need to ADD a diamond (light color fabric).
    If you're careful with your placement, you can reposition some of the BLUE ones you chucked in the previous step.

Let me know....I'll be around until noon my time and then I have to run out for while. (it's 9:46 now).

Blog Entries
    Thank you donot worry today. I have been out for a short work and it has exhausted me and produced a dull pain in op area. Ihad a tvt op placing sling under bladder so you can understand why I must rest. By the time you get up tomorrow will have tried to join them. Not sure how I flipped them . You are wonderful.

MTS - you are amazing - you should be a teacher!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    More photo. I have joined in sections ready to join in rows . This time gone together much better in pairs. Next post joined together.

Blog Entries
    Final set. I had cut out 4 dark diamonds and 5 light. Will need to cut more to finish mat. Still not going together as easy as I had expected . I have a set cut out ready for a lap quilt / single quilt size.

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much great tut all to my self.

MTS
    Banned
    Hi Dotty,

Looks much better. There are still a couple of uneven edges....I can't tell why.

Ah, I see. That's where you haven't yet added the extra pieces to the 3 patch.
    Got it.

So this was a practice one before you do the big one?
    Excellent.

Did you cut all the patches yet for the new quilt?
    Because I'd really like to share with you MY method for cutting - it's much easier than using templates, and provides more consistency among the cut pieces.
    Also the method for sewing together the blocks.

See the green circles in the pict below....those seams are off a bit, as they're not creating the Pine Bark pattern (the Japanese name for this motif).

I'm sure your relieved you got it sewn together.
    (Me, too!)

I'm not going to write up the instructions right now if you've already cut the pieces - let me know.
    But before you start sewing (and now that your camera works), we should chat here again.

Running out to Joann's - great sale, but I'll be back by mid-morning here.
    Last edited by MTS; 11-13-2012 at 05:03 AM.

Blog Entries

Smile

So far I have cut out the diamond shapes but not sub cut into the quarters.

The red are in the pattern that is what I was saying. Should I have checked that they were not so close when I stitcHed the straight seam. I did the 4 diamonds then joined them in straight rows this is we're it goes wrong.. If you find your instructions or could you do a tut for others as well you are so good and others may nosy doing it.

Blog Entries

Smile

So far I have cut out the diamond shapes but not sub cut into the quarters.

The red are in the pattern that is what I was saying. Should I have checked that they were not so close when I stitcHed the straight seam. I did the 4 diamonds then joined them in straight rows this is we're it goes wrong.. If you find your instructions or could you do a tut for others as well you are so good and others may enjoy doing the pattern.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    The red are in the pattern that is what I was saying. Should I have checked that they were not so close when I stitcHed the straight seam. I did the 4 diamonds then joined them in straight rows this is we're it goes wrong..
    OK, here's what I see.

The little round GREEN diamonds show where you matched up the pieces to form the 4-patch diamonds, and they look spot-on from here.
    That's the most visible part so it's great that those are ok.
    And those rows look they are sewn together in straight lines.

Name:  dottymoA.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  136.8 KB

The thing is that there are supposed to be some straight seam lines going the opposite way as well when sewing one row to another.

The pink lines - those seams should have been all straight across all the rows, and they kind of throw the pattern off a bit.....you can see how if they were shifted, the PineBark would be more distinctive.

Also, while you didn't add the extra diamonds that were for the sides, you kept the diamonds that should have been chucked (RED below).
    They're just going to be chopped off when you square, and get in the way of the construction....and since they're getting chopped, there will be a little unnecessary bulk at the seam allowance.

I did find some of my notes, but not my samples, so I have to recut the fabric and take some pictures.
    If you don't mind waiting, give me a day or two to get something together for you.

Blog Entries
    Thank you again . I did think I only had to line straight rows one way. Going to all this trouble will you do it as a tutorial so others can appreciate and try?
    I hope to start the quilt . But I think I will do one more practise first to ensure confidence.
    Many have been watching this link and I think would have a go. This is the real way not a 4squares joined.

MTS
    Banned
    Hi Dotty,

Hope you're feeling better today.

Maybe over the weekend I could write something up.
    I'm just in a mess here....I haven't even unpacked from Houston yet and really need to get organized because I can't find ANYTHING and it's driving me crazy.

If you do another practice one, make sure to include the starting large diamonds for the edges BEFORE you start cutting.
    Before you cut them, your design wall should look exactly like this:

eta: (Do not ask me where the other brown patch went ....it's there in EQ.
    So frustrating.
    But obviously you can see where it needs to go.)

Name:  DottymostartingJP.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  11.5 KB

After you cut them into the 4 smaller diamonds, do the switcheroo.
    In the picture below, you can see which patches make up the 4-patches diamonds and the 3-patches diamonds (around the edges).

Immediately discard the smaller diamonds you don't need anymore from the borders - just get them off the design wall.

Name:  dottymoB1.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  104.9 KB

Instead of sewing it together per Cheryl's instructions, sew the new 4 patches (just like you did this time) as per the above example.

Make sure you follow this as this is where it went awry last time.

Take care to match up the point where the 4 smaller patches meet in the middle of your new larger diamonds (see top blue circle in picture).

Sew the diamonds together in a rows, INCLUDING the 3-patches on the ends.

When you go to join the rows, only worry about matching points where 4 patches of the same color come together (see middle blue circle in picture).

Do not worry about the matching up the sides patches - that's what creates the PineBark design (see bottom blue circle in picture).

And, yes, it will look a little funky around the edges....it's supposed to.
    That's where you're going to square up the entire top.

And can I just give you a huge shout-out for sticking with this.
    As I said earlier, it's one of my most favorite designs, and I heart anyone who attempts it.
    You're not feeling well, things get messed up and you just keep at it.
    Makes my day.

Yell if you have any questions.

Off to clean and then to Joann's (again) to score some batting.
    Last edited by MTS; 11-14-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast