Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thank you for your advice on pinning a quilt >

Thank you for your advice on pinning a quilt

Thank you for your advice on pinning a quilt

Old 07-31-2011, 05:38 AM

I posted a question on pinning quilts a few months ago and just wanted to say thanks. I finally got around to pinning my quilt yesterday. I took the advice given and pinned the backing to my carpet with straight pins then layered the batting and quilt top. It was so much easier and the back stayed tight and straight. Thanks QB members for making the part of quilting I disliked into a project that I won't put off next time. :)
Old 07-31-2011, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I didn't know this! Wow, thanks for the tip. That's my least favorite part of quilting!
Old 07-31-2011, 06:09 AM

OK maybe it's due to lack of sleep but here's my stupid question...If you pin your backing to the rug and then layer it....How are you not attached to the rug...How are you lifting and getting to the pins since they are buried under the layers?
Old 07-31-2011, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
OK maybe it's due to lack of sleep but here's my stupid question...If you pin your backing to the rug and then layer it....How are you not attached to the rug...How are you lifting and getting to the pins since they are buried under the layers?
Your backing should be several inches larger than your quilt. you just pin the edges of the backing, then layer. When you pin the layers together, it's helpful to slide a piece of plastic under the backing. (like a square ruler, but don't u se a ruler, you'll scratch it).
Old 07-31-2011, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Glad that it is working for you :D:D:D

I slide one of those glass aquarium marbles (they have a flat side) underneath the backing once I have the sandwich all in place.
I can easily slide it to where I want to place the pin. It holds the fabric up just far enough to make pinning easy. I slide it from the top, just gently push it to where the next pin will be placed.
You can easily push the pin into the little gap the marble makes, and if you use the pin closers, just push the marble to the next spot and then use the closer.

This works well on tables too, it will help keep the pins from scratching the surface underneath :D:D:D