Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there any point in upgrading? >

Is there any point in upgrading?

Is there any point in upgrading?

Old 07-29-2019, 11:14 AM

Default Is there any point in upgrading?

Hi everyone. I have been considering upgrading my quilting experience. I piece on a small Bernina 350 and quilt on a Brother 1500. Short of going to a midarm, does anyone think there is any point in upgrading to a Bernina 770? The harp space is the same but it has a regulator and may make the quilting experience more fun or easier. I could just sit tight and practice more on my 1500 but I wonder if it’s just the space that limits my enjoyment or also the quality of the machine. Any input or thoughts welcome. Thank you-
Old 07-29-2019, 12:48 PM

Have you practiced on other machines? If so how did they feel to you, or are you just dreaming about an upgrade. Testing should tell you. Take something you normally sew and not use the fabric the dealer demos with.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:36 PM

I was given a modern Bernina 820 from my friend who replaced it with a different Bernina (which might be the 770...).

I did a series of three baby quilts earlier this year, in one I used the built in walking foot, in one I used the BSR (bernina stitch regulator) and one I just did with the regular foot. In all three cases, the method I used was easy, they all worked well and were easy to use/switch. The huge throat space and bright lighting were wonderful. Obviously, no one method of stitching is appropriate for all quilting designs.

Keep in mind, however, that I am very accustomed to machine quilting on a vintage sewing machine with the feed dogs engaged. I've also been using a friend's long arm for the last couple of years.

At least for me there is a very big difference between what I can do by moving the sewing machine around as with the long arm and what I can do moving the fabric around with the DSM (domestic sewing machine). The motions are not at all the same, and while I imagine I will get better I don't really want to! I'm starting to look for long arm options.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:19 PM

Well Ive only quilted really on my 1500. I'd like to try another machine for sure. I have a big quilt I can use to try out other machines. I think I could really use a stitch regulator!
Old 07-29-2019, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

I have a Brother 1500 and recently got a used Juki. I prefer the Juki. Nothing wrong with the Brother 1500 and it served me well. I am now going to upgrade to this: https://jukiquilting.com/products/j-150qvp.html I test sewed on many different models for machine quilting and nothing came close to the Juki in my opinon. Not even the Bernina. I have an older Bernina and it is a fine machine. I have two Janomes and they are great machines. I also have Brother embroidery and a Brother 420. I know the differences from sewing on all of them over the years.

You have to test sew on them all and then the one that feels right is the one to buy.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:14 PM

That's interesting. I was looking at the Juki 2200, also a mid arm. I'll have to find a dealer to test drive. Leah Day was talking about her Qnique and I was really interested in the fact that you can use it from the front or the side. What a fabulous feature...

Last edited by littledentist; 07-29-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I just bought the Bernina 770 and it is fantastic! I have zero regrets buying this baby.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:08 AM

I love using my midarm. As it's not too heavy, l can use it on a frame, or take it off and set it in my dropin in sewing couter. Bailey home quilter 15" ( they also make 17" & 20"). Stitch regulators (BSRs) can wear out...a friend has gone thru 2 already, and they're not cheap.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:37 AM

I just am at a point where I want to really up my skills and have a good quilting machine for the long term. I feel like my 9” harp space kinda...cramps my style. 🤪 Basically I’m looking for a long term relationship with a quilting machine. I’d like to think the person makes the quilt, not the machine. But I can’t even see how you quilt big queens on a domestic without feeling like you’re wrestling with an alligator. Or maybe I’m trying to justify and upgrade. 🤦🏼*♀️
Old 07-30-2019, 10:46 AM
Administrator

when it comes to the quilting phase, bigger is always better.

i did a super-king t-shirt quilt (more than 10x10) on janome MC6600 (9" throat.)
like wrestling an alligator that was fighting with a python! lol
still ... it got the job done.

here are the only questions that matter.
do you want to upgrade?
can you afford to upgrade?
do you have the space for something bigger?

if it's yes, yes and yes then your only problem will be picking the right machine.
the selection is mind-boggling.
i wish you good luck and lots of fun looking and using.