Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Is there an easy way to make rectangles?

Is there an easy way to make rectangles?

I want to piece some rectangles whereby the top corner is one fabric and the opposite bottom corner is another. Kind of like a HST but rectangle instead of square. Sounds easy, but I can't figure out what size to cut to end up with a 4" X 3" half square rectangle (I made up HSR, but hope you know what I mean.) Thanks!!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I may be wrong but I would take 2 rectangles 4 1/2x 3 1/2 then sew and cut as you would a HST. Anxious to see how wrong I might be but that's how I would do it.

There is a ruler for this shape too. Look at the bottom of this page: https://www.simplicity.com/t-tutoria...lic-Tools.aspx
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-17-2015 at 07:13 AM. Reason: remove copyright image
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I would think the measurements would be similar to doing 1/2 sq. triangles (adding 7/8"). I'd test it out on paper first, but would try adding 1" and trim down if necessary.

I just was looking at a pattern online and it is just like making a HST from rectangles. Just not sure how to figure out the length. Try making one a bit longer and then you will know the size of rectangle you will need.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I'll play and see what I come up with. Thanks for your help!

Google Half Rectangle Triangles (HRT). You'll get quite a few tutorials. Or you could paper piece.

Quote Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
    Google Half Rectangle Triangles (HRT). You'll get quite a few tutorials. Or you could paper piece.
    She's right. There's a special technique to this, it's not as simple as half square triangles. You should look for a tutorial that makes sense for you.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I THINK this will work. Cut a rectangle 3 7/8 x 4 7/8 out of each of the two fabrics. Stack them BOTH right sides up. Cut from corner to corner IN THE DIRECTION you want the triangles. Match each triangle with the opposite triangle of the other color. They should look just like you want them to when they are finished. Carefully sew the bias edges together being sure to have your little rabbit ears(about 3/8 inch) showing on either end. Some would suggest starching the rectangles before cutting to reduce the bias stretching. Good luck. Ann

Got it! That's exactly what I was looking for. I think I'm ready to do some cutting! Thanks a bunch, this board is great, like having my own personal tutor.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure but I know that to make a HST you add 7/8th to the fabric to come out to the size you want. So if you wanted a 5in finished you'd make the blocks 5 7/8th to get 5. Me, I'd round it up to 6 to make sure it would come out right.
    Judy

RST
    Blog Entries
    I'd love to see you come back and let us all know which technique works best for you.

HRT are notoriously more tricky than you'd expect, and while I've used pretty much every one of the methods mentioned above, my biggest challenge lies in being able to get absolutely consistent results when piecing many HRT blocks that need to match points.

My favorite method / tool is the tri-rec ruler. You can find youtube tutorials to walk you through the use of the ruler.

Power Poster
    If you want to cut rectangles diagonally for the side triangles of a triangle in a square -

You need to cut them 1-1/4 inch longer and a "scant" 3/4 inch wider

Example:

If the finished base size of the triangle is two inches and the finished height size is four inches:

Cut the rectangle 2-3/4 x 5-1/4 inches.

The center triangle:

Add approximately 7/8 inches to the width and approximately 7/8 to the height.

Example: Four inch "finished" base size and four inch "finished" height size:

Cut a strip 4-7/8 wide and the base will be 4-7/8 wide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bearisgray; 05-17-2015 at 01:35 PM.

Power Poster
    P.S. Both triangles cut from a rectangle will go the same direction.

One needs to cut the another rectangle the other direction to get the opposite side of the large triangle.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I lost my tute on these when my hard drive died recently, but this is made different to HSTs. I suggest experimenting with the sizes, possibly cutting 1/2" larger and trim down to size. You place one triangle on top with opposite corners facing, and stitch either side of the centre line.
    Name:  HSRs.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  6.8 KB

Gay, that is so true! Can't lay them lined-up right on top of each other. Thanks for the picture. Makes so much sense. I too prefer to make sub-blocks like this and HST over-sized and cut them down to the exact size I need. It takes more time, but makes putting the final blocks together soooo much more accurate and really seems to save time (and headaches) in the end. You gals (and guys) on this board are the BEST!!!!
    Thimble and Thread

I think Gay has the right answer. Looks fine to me.
    Last edited by maviskw; 05-18-2015 at 07:56 AM.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Here's something I saved a long time ago, but it's for a 2 x 4 rectangle. Maybe you can adjust the measurements to what you need.

http://www.quiltdesignnw.com/PDF/HRT_2x4.pdf
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

I have a Go die that makes the two color split rectangle.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

June Taylor shape cut ruler.

Power Poster
    The angles used in the Tri-Recs tools are:

90, and approximately 63.435, and 26.565 degrees for the skinny triangle,
    and

approximately 63.435, 63.435, and 53.130 degrees for the "center' triangle.

If one does not have one of the Tri-Recs types of rulers, it is quite easy to draft one's own template for the unit.
    Post #13 gives an example of what one would look like.

Gay: post #15, has the correct way to sew two rectangles together to get a half rectangle triangle. Is that an HRT?

If you cut the rectangle in half on the bias, that will work also, but then you are sewing on the bias.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

RE: post #15 diagram

Just make sure your A and B rectangles are oversized enough to get the correct size on your A/B HRT after you cut on that center line and 'rectangle up' the resulting HRT. A half inch isn't enough.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

This will not work "I may be wrong but I would take 2 rectangles 4 1/2x 3 1/2 then sew and cut as you would a HST. Anxious to see how wrong I might be but that's how I would do it."
    Nancy

I remember struggling with this a while back when doing a BOM. If memory serves me correctly, I finally paper pieced the rectangles to get them to turn out the right way (and the right size). Good luck with your effort!

Linda in Missouri