Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there an easy way?????? >

Is there an easy way??????

Is there an easy way??????

Old 09-14-2012, 06:47 AM

I don't move the laser to line up the next row of quilting. I move the machine. Once I have quilted the first pass across the quilt, (or two passes if the pattern has two passes on it) I cut the thread and move the machine so that the needle is placed at the highest point of the stitching that I just completed (standing at the back or pantograph side of the machine). I insert the needle at that highest place. Then I slowly roll the sandwich up onto the takeup roller (with the needle still inserted in the sandwich ) until the laser light reaches the same position on the pattern that the needle is set at. This position would be on the first pass of the pattern. I then remove the needle from the sandwich, walk the machine along the bottom most position of the pattern watching the needle but not sewing, to make sure that when I start stitching the stitching will not overlap my last stitched roll. Insert the needle at the beginning of my next roll and start stitching.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
I don't move the laser to line up the next row of quilting. I move the machine. Once I have quilted the first pass across the quilt, (or two passes if the pattern has two passes on it) I cut the thread and move the machine so that the needle is placed at the highest point of the stitching that I just completed (standing at the back or pantograph side of the machine). I insert the needle at that highest place. Then I slowly roll the sandwich up onto the takeup roller (with the needle still inserted in the sandwich ) until the laser light reaches the same position on the pattern that the needle is set at. This position would be on the first pass of the pattern. I then remove the needle from the sandwich, walk the machine along the bottom most position of the pattern watching the needle but not sewing, to make sure that when I start stitching the stitching will not overlap my last stitched roll. Insert the needle at the beginning of my next roll and start stitching.
Okay. I think I understand your method. I've got another question. I'll start a new thread on it so it can be seen and followed. thank you for your input. All of the comments so far has helped me in one way or another.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
She gave me the instruction manual for the machine. I've had to reach for it a couple of times to figure something out. But, I'm not good with written directions. I'm more of a visual learner. Show me something and I can do it. Tell me about it and I'm lost. Give me written instructions and I after it has driven me crazy, I usually can figure it out. But, I am lazy. If someone can show me, why should I get all crazy with the written stuff? (Well, that is my line of thinking, anyway)
I understand! I'm a visual person also, as I think most people are. Would be nice if they included drawings along with their instructions.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:54 AM

Irish5's instruction is the way I do it. It is really the most effective way to get your rows to look like a continuous design as opposed to what I call "railroad track" look. A lot of pantos already have partial designs on top and bottom of panto so that one can decide what point to use as a reference for the next row..........even if you are a visual learner you can follow the directions......read the directions while at the machine and as you read each step do it....and suddenly you have created a visual lesson.........
Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 AM

What machine do you have? Is there a way to move the laser to a different spot? I have a TL18LS, and I moved my laser to the side of the wooden carriage (it was mounted above the machine). I used a curtain bracket attached to the upper carriage, toward the back, and to the laser light (I have a Grace made laser & it attaches with a bolt and knob).

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
Thanks for all of the good info and the video. It has helped. I am more of a visual learner so it may take me longer than most. For one, my machine has a30 inch throat and I don't have to move it as often as most. Another problem is that when I go to move my laser, it is getting lost because of the way my handles are sitting. I may have to adjust them. Seems like I just can't get everything to work for me all at the same time. heheeh!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by margecam52 View Post
What machine do you have? Is there a way to move the laser to a different spot? I have a TL18LS, and I moved my laser to the side of the wooden carriage (it was mounted above the machine). I used a curtain bracket attached to the upper carriage, toward the back, and to the laser light (I have a Grace made laser & it attaches with a bolt and knob).
I have the Nolting 30. I can take the laser off. But, I'm not sure if there is another plac that I can mount it or not. I'm certainly going to look.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:42 PM

Here is another youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wUdDrb39SA. Go to the 9 minute mark and she explains about advancing the quilt to the next row. Her method is very similar to what I learned.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:09 PM

I don't move my laser light. I put my needle down on the line I have marking the very top of the panto. I then roll my quilt until my needle is then on the line marking the bottom of the design. Then needle up, go to the edge,lock a few small stitches and off you go.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
that is how I do it too.I do not roll until I have the needle down and then line up the laser for the next row.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:23 AM

When I would try this, my laser light would disappear. I finally figured out that my spool holder was right in the line of fire. I moved it(after I found the wrenches that fit it) and it seems to have helped. So, I'm going to try again. I had company all day yesterday and didn't get to play with my new friend. Today is another day.. Friday I get the pleasure of meeting a couple of QB members who have graciously offered to come help me. Yea!!!!! What a great group we have here!