Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
There has to be an easier way ! >

There has to be an easier way !

There has to be an easier way !

Old 01-20-2011, 09:48 PM

I just had to add my 2 cents. I bought a pair of shears at Walmart for about $15.00 that have 9" long blades, and an adjustable tension key, so I can cut anything with them. The Brand name is Westcott, and they are called Titanium Extreme Edge. I love them almost as much as my Gingher applique scissors. I mark batting with a ruler and fine tip sharpie pen in a light, blending, color, then cut until tired, rest, cut some more. Great T.V. time work.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 PM

If my DIL wanted all these little squares of batting, I would have her cut them, then I would make the quilt.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 PM

If you have a Sizzix or Accuquilt, you can cut lots with that.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:19 AM

Love the scissors Dunster.
DH and will be going out of town tomorrow to the Dr.and hope to get back before closing time in the town we go through where we have a Harbor Freight. We were going to go to HF and get some things on their Dollar Day coupon sale. Will have to get some of those scissors.
I plan to get one of the big handles for holding rulers for $5.00. they call it a bath holder, but it looks identical to the one I bouth at Hancocks on sale. DH saw it when he was printing coupons and and ask me if I needed another one, ???? as if I would say no. lol.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
I just had to add my 2 cents. I bought a pair of shears at Walmart for about $15.00 that have 9" long blades, and an adjustable tension key, so I can cut anything with them. The Brand name is Westcott, and they are called Titanium Extreme Edge. I love them almost as much as my Gingher applique scissors. I mark batting with a ruler and fine tip sharpie pen in a light, blending, color, then cut until tired, rest, cut some more. Great T.V. time work.
That is what I was considering doing! Thanks for the confirmation that I am not the only one that thinks like this. I'll see what happens with the 60mm. Thanks!!
Old 01-21-2011, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rann
If my DIL wanted all these little squares of batting, I would have her cut them, then I would make the quilt.
lol ! She doesn't quilt, and they are a gift to my dear grandsons. I don't mind the extra work.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 AM

When I am cutting thick, puffy batting, I lay a board on each side of where I am going to cut strips to compress the batting. Just leave enough room for your ruler to cut the long strips, leave all the strips in place and then you move 1/4 of the way around the table and cut long cuts again but those really cut the long strips into small squares. Clear as mud, right. Just practice using the boards and moving them CAREFULLY so as to not move the strips/squares. I know that is a lot of board moving but it works for me. Remember, YOU are the one who has to move 1/4 way around the table and move your 2 boards veeerrrry carefully. Good Luck,
Donna
Old 01-21-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by garysgal
I am making quilts for two of my grandkids and need to cut 320 4.5" squares of batting. I absolutely hate cutting batting of any kind and am wondering what you all use? I am thinking of buying a rotary cutter 60mm to see if that would be easier than using the 45mm and having to constantly push the batting down (if it is the fluffy kind) so I don't cut it along with the square. I even thought of just using sissors but that would be torture and I want to get these quilts done, not make a career of them. Any ideas? does anyone have a 60mm cutter and is it worth it? Amazon has them for $11.90 which is pretty good. Thanks for any imput.
Maybe try this: http://www.spaghetti-legs.com/servle...re-sets/Detail
Old 01-21-2011, 12:10 PM

I rotary cut my squares! It is so much easier than using scissors and quicker. Just fold the batting so there are several layers and go for it. The 60" is the best one to use and you can cut more batting and fabric at a time.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:57 AM

I didn't know you could get precut wadding (batting). I'm going to search and see if the same service is available in the UK as the thought of the difficulty of cutting up the wadding has put me off making a rag quilt. Thank you - this board is fantastic.