Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there Longarm and frame for sale In NW. near Seattle ?? >

Is there Longarm and frame for sale In NW. near Seattle ??

Is there Longarm and frame for sale In NW. near Seattle ??

Old 08-15-2018, 08:33 AM

thank you Feathers - N-Fur... I'll check ou that website. who do you use to service the Tin Lizzie if needed?
Old 08-15-2018, 08:34 AM

thanks everyone for the input... I will look into all your suggestions....
Old 08-15-2018, 10:00 AM
Banned

Don't know where you are in WA, but there are Handi Quilter dealers all over the state. I bought my Avante used from Cathy Moore in Rochester and got a very good deal. http://www.cathysclassyquilts.com/

Cari
Old 08-15-2018, 09:38 PM

Jazznn--you ask a question about maintenance on a long arm. While it's important that you have a good tech support somewhere nearby (think 4-5 hour range at least), most of us that long arm do much of the "daily" maintenance or get a family member that does it. That usually involves oiling, cleaning out lint in the bobbin area (taking off the bobbin plat on occasion), etc. I've also timed, adjust needle bar height, switched out a power chip, switched out new electrical buttons for stop/start, changed the wheels; re-set encoder, etc. It helps if someone can help you with that. Definitely do some actual long arm quilting at a shop and ask to use both a manual and robotic set-up. I have a friend that due to health issues, went with a robotics model and loves it.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:35 AM

Just registered on this site today, still need to update my info but I live in the Seattle area. I'm rather visually disabled and have some other health problems and some machines/frames do have issues you should be aware of.

The machine I use is set for my tall friend who uses it and is several inches too high for me to stand comfortably, but I make do. Because of my visual impairments I often have to make paper designs on parchment paper so I can see what I want to do -- wish I was better at coming up with ideas/freehanding but so far I can only do a few types of stipples free hand (stars, hearts, flowers...) for more complicated designs I use the paper.

One of my friends has a machine that is set for her to use while sitting, along with a floor mat and a wheeled chair. Her set-up uses a frame with her existing machine.

There are often some really good deals on Craig's List but you have to wait/look for them and be prepared with cash. The Sew Expo at the Puyallup Fair Grounds in the Spring is a great place to see current machines.

Longarm U as already suggested is a great resource.

I really do recommend a stitch regulator and if you can afford it a computerized/tablet machine. My friend that bought the system I use found it wasn't quite as easy as she had hoped (it does have built in stitch regulator) and that loading the quilts is still a bit physical but that gets better with practice.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:19 AM

I highly recommend taking a class at Boersma's. They have a class that is perfect for someone interested in buying a longarm and wondering what is involved with loading, threading, adjusting the tension, actually quilting something, checking out the different sizes of machines and all the features, etc. Capri is very patient, encouraging, and the best part is nobody will pressure you into buying anything!

Having this information is well worth the cost of the class and your travel time, believe me.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:58 PM

That is the site I was going to suggest.

Also look at sites for each brand of machine, or at user group sites. And, of course, with used machines, always try before you buy!

I purchased a Qnique 21" machine on Grace Continuum frame with quilt motion 'Beginnings" (pantographs) from Allbrands in CA at a very good price. It arrived the end of May but have only recently gotten it set up and operational. Seems to work well.

Q'nique 21 replaced an HQ16 on a pinnacle frame, computerized with the PCQuilter. That worked well. It was just time for me to upgrade. The HQ16 is on it's way to my sister right now. I had no problems with the HQ16. PCQuilter is on an XP that ran well, but, unfortunately for me, the technology did not allow me to enlarge print when the PCQuilter application was in use, and these days I need bigger print.

HQ16 was maintained by my DH. It has only required cleaning since I purchased it used in 2010. Note that I am not known for being 'gentle' with machines, so I can say that the HQ16 is a good machine. I did think about getting a different computerized quilting package for it. However, I would have had to add stitch regulation to the HQ16, plus the Prostitcher package is almost as much as the complete Q'nique set up I was able to purchase.

Since you said you are disabled but don't specify the disability, there are a couple of things for you to consider before you make the purchase. This is not meant to discourage you in any way.

* The reach of your arm in comparison with the throat of the machine. I never gave that a thought before my purchase of the Q'nique. The 21" throat means I have to go around to the back of the quilting table to load a quilt. With the 16" throat, I could load it from the front.

Placing the needle at the start of a row or block may also be difficult on a larger-throated machine if the pattern starts near the take up rail (farthest from the front of the machine) of the frame.

* Most Long Arms have the on/off button on the back of the machine.
Again, that forces you to the back of the machine to turn it on and off. You can somewhat overcome that by purchasing a power supply/extension cord that you can hit the switch on or unplug. No doubt there are other options available for getting to the power switch without walking around your machine.

* Check for a machine that has a needle up/down switch near the needle. Otherwise, once again, you walk to the back of the machine to move the needle up or down. That is probably a feature on most stitch regulated machines, but it doesn't hurt to ask about it when buying used. The Juki 2200 Virtuoso, 18" throat, has a turn wheel near the front of the machine. I'm sure you can do a search on the internet to see a picture of it. I think it also has a thread cutter on it, but won't swear to that.

* If you are not ambulatory, then consider whether the frame height can be adjusted down so that you can work from a seated position.

Have fun with your long arm!