Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
is there a market for handquilting >

is there a market for handquilting

is there a market for handquilting

Old 09-28-2011, 07:52 PM

I think there probably is a market for hand quilting, but I would think you would have to charge quite a lot to actually make good money for handwork. I am not sure in this economy with fabric prices on the rise that many people could pay what the price should be for hand quilting. You are good if you can do 8-10 stitches per inch. I can only dream to be that good.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:16 AM

I wish I knew how to hand quilt.....I often say to myself I need to take a class...but then you have the sewing machine that does all the fancy designs now...and the time you save using the machine.....I guess at some time in my life when Iam not rushing around doing whatever I will hand quilt....its on my bucket list thats for sure.....Trish
Old 10-02-2011, 03:57 PM

I really don't know about a market for hand quilting in your area, but the ladies in our church in Fredericksburg, TX hand quilt for the general public and can't keep up with the demand. They raise quite a bit of money doing this.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:56 AM

I'm going to start charging for handquilting. We'll see if there's a market or not. I know I'll never get rich doing it. I doubt I'll ever be able to quit my job so I can handquilt. But if I can do what I love and make a few dollars while I do it, why not?! I quilt in my free time; when I want to. I wouldn't want it to be a job to me and I don't want to turn my living room into a sweat shop!
If anyone is interested in sending business my way, I only charge $6/square foot.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR
I wouldn't want it to be a job to me and I don't want to turn my living room into a sweat shop!
If anyone is interested in sending business my way, I only charge $6/square foot.
Good for you! The only thing I would do is specify how close you'll quilt at that price. You don't want to microstipple for that amount!

Janet
Old 10-14-2011, 08:07 AM

How many hours a day could someone hand-quilt? I find my hands bother me the next day after 2-3 hours of sewing on a binding. Of course I can bang away at a keyboard all day...but I think hand sewing is harder on the hands
Old 10-14-2011, 08:11 AM

I went from page 3 and jumped to page six, so forgive me if this was already suggested, but what about Etsy? There are a lot of longarmers that offer services on there and I'm sure and hand quilter could find a place there too.

I think the thing is - you have to have a thick skin and KNOW your work and what it's worth. Not everyone can afford your services, and many people may say you charge too much or they just can't afford it. Find out what the going rates are and if you can live with selling your work at a price that can compare or compete. The people who cannot or do not want to pay your prices are not who you are marking to - REMEMBER that. I would suggest setting your prices to what you want right off the bat, and sell your award wininng talents as just that. AWARD winning quality work. You would expect to pay a long armer who has award winning work more wouldn't you? Longarmers are expensive, but there are MANY of them out there who seem to make enough to justify doing what they do.

You also have to keep in mind that there are many different spectrums of quilters. There are those of us who began quilting to as an inexpensive hobby - and then there are those who are quilters who have a disposable income and money to spend. If a quilter is going to spend $200 on materials to make their quilt, and then spend hours creating it, I can see how many of them would spend the money to have it hand quilted. I could especially see this for things like a double wedding ring quilt that would be a wedding gift. Those are heirloom gifts and a time in people's lives that they are willing to ignore the price for the quality of what they are buying.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
You don't want to microstipple for that amount!

Janet
LOL, that's true! But I figure if someone wanted microstipple, they'd just take it to a long arm! I guess I'll just take it case by case! I need to get a website with some pictures/examples. I like the ideas on this thread. I'm going to make little sandwiches this weekend to take to the shops :)
Old 10-14-2011, 08:26 AM

I quilt an hour a day right now. I do a lot more on the weekends, I have quilted 10-12 hours without much of a break. My hands hurt some but my shoulders are what really hurt the next day!! I wish I could dedicate more time... I'm going to get some crib sized quilts and work on them during my lunch break and when I'm waiting on my husband to get off work (we ride together). That will give me another hour and half. I could possibly sneak in 20 hours a week without starving or living in filth!!

Originally Posted by SueSew
How many hours a day could someone hand-quilt? I find my hands bother me the next day after 2-3 hours of sewing on a binding. Of course I can bang away at a keyboard all day...but I think hand sewing is harder on the hands