Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a RULE??? >

Is there a RULE???

Is there a RULE???

Old 03-18-2009, 02:56 PM

Is there a "rule" in this forum that prohibits a quilter from telling what their pattern (in the pictures section) is called or from what book by whom? Someone is always asking what the pattern name is. All of the quilts are beautiful and inspirational Iwant to make them ALL!!!! :roll: :roll: I know copyrighted things can't be reproduced here but can the pattern NAMES?? Just curious!
Old 03-18-2009, 02:58 PM

I haven't seen any rules about posting the names of quilts. I think most people just don't think of it when they post their pictures. Personally, I always "name" (I give them a personal name) my quilts and that's how I refer to them when I post.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Administrator

No, there isn't a rule against that.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:12 PM

Thanks! Was just wondering why more people don't "share" the pattern they are posting. No big deal!!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:31 PM

here is another answer to your question. So many of the talented ladies here alter traditional patterns somewhat and feel that can't call it by that particular name any longer. But maybe we can all do better in the future about names but always feel free to ask questions or PM someone. Everyone is very helpful here :D
Old 03-18-2009, 03:39 PM

One of the great truths in quilting is that one pattern may have dozens of names. If a person knows a pattern such as Monkey Wrench, there are at least a dozen other names it is also known by. Some I learned in the 70s are being repopularized under different names - tipsy log cabin and mock cathedral window are two.

I've seen traditional patterns worked in a particular fabric line re-named to reflect the fabric designer's line. Other folks like to play and make things up as they go along, and not stick to any certain pattern. While I've bought dozens of books over the years, I have probably bought only a handful of patterns.

Finally, there are some designing women here who make up their own creations, and do not want their original designs copied. I have seen people offended when I had to tell them I could not provide a link to a pattern I created in my head and on scrap paper. If someone wants to copyright their designs for sale in the future, they also would not want to give their design work away.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:13 PM

Thanks for all the info. This IS a GREAT site. I am always learning something here. I certainly wouldn't want to offend ANYONE. I was just particularly "taken" by several quilts that I would like to make - that's all!
Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 PM

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but: If you see a quilt you like somewhere any where and then recreate it how much do you have to change it before you are no longer infringing on someones copy right. I don't sale quilts but I have a friend who wants me to make a quilt but I would not want to infringe on anyones copyright. Thanks!

g
Old 03-18-2009, 05:04 PM

One reason we don't see the names is that I think sometimes we don't read carefully to see that people are asking questions. When you read through a thread, you can see that we skip stuff a lot. I don't think it is on purpose, but sometimes from the time I start something until the time I finish it, I have misplaced the source and can't readily put my hands on the book or magazine it came from. Sometimes I get an idea from a thread here, and then I can't find it again, so I don't know the name. Just my take on the whole situation. :?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:15 PM

I always try to give the information about the project I've posted; I've seen others do it to, but as Moonpi pointed out there is a name problem sometimes. I've done 9 Patch & Stripes from the Eleanor Burns book, but I know my LQS has a pattern that I would swear is the same thing but has a different name by a different author. All I can do is to say what pattern I myself followed, or at least give a nod to whoever I got the inspiration/idea from - I think that's just the right thing to do.

Originally Posted by Quilting G
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but: If you see a quilt you like somewhere any where and then recreate it how much do you have to change it before you are no longer infringing on someones copy right. I don't sale quilts but I have a friend who wants me to make a quilt but I would not want to infringe on anyones copyright. Thanks!

g
Quilting G, the short answer is none - if I were to use someone else's idea, it doesn't matter how much it's changed - it is still derived from someone else's work, making it a derivative work and the copyright is still theirs. Changing something by a magic percentage is an old myth. The best source of info on this is the horse's mouth (LOL) - check out the government's copyright website.

http://copyright.gov/

Hope this helps!