Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there some magic spell or fairy dust that'll help with free motion quilting? >

Is there some magic spell or fairy dust that'll help with free motion quilting?

Is there some magic spell or fairy dust that'll help with free motion quilting?

Old 03-13-2011, 07:11 AM

no fairy dust because if there were any I'd buy a truck load of it... :D I just did a baby quilt and it did not turn out that bad but I sure could have done better I think. it looks all confused sewing to say the least...Oh well the mother liked it so I guess it is not too bad. Just keep practicing is what they all say...So I guess that is what we have to do... :thumbup:
Old 03-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts
Originally Posted by quiltinghere
I've heard an 'adult' beverage will help...:) seriously!
I'm on too many meds...guess there's no hope, huh? :-)
I am in the same situation. No coffee, tea, or alcohol. They don't mix well with the anti depressant meds I take. Not suppose to have chocolate either but I refuse to give that up. A girl has to have one vice. I thought I would try the music and whole body motion tricks. As soon as I can figure out how to get my feed dogs down.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 AM

To answer the question - no - no fairy dust. BUT .. if you are trying to recreate the look of Long Arm - forget it .. no matter how much practice you will never become a machine.
Some say you have to feed dogs down. I don't. I do use the bouncing foot thing (it must have a better name!) and put my machine on 1/2 speed .. if you cant' do that automatically, put a block of wood in the peddle. Go slow, have your pattern in mind, maybe even mark it with washout or air-out product, and go for it.
Go simple, and as already said several times, practice. Fix a sandwich about 15" square and practice the devil out of it. Change thread colors each time you practice .. you can use it to check stitch length, are you pulling curves too fast and getting bobbin on top like a spicer web, is the shape right, are you liking what you see?
Don't expect perfection, so work on something real that is for the kids to drag around, or that will be given some other place where it will get lots of love and scrub.
The idea of free motion is to connect the back to the front and keep the batting from sliding around. And look nice doing it.
SO - what is your objective? When you stop berating yourself you will see you are actually doing a really nice job! Don't give up ... you're a Quilter!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Granny Coy, I've read where you can buy a plate to fit your machine to cover the feed dogs. My brother sewing machine has a button on the back that you slide it to lower or raise the feed dogs. I bought an old singer 125 and it has a large screw of sorts under the machine and you can twist it to lower or raise the feed dogs. Debbie

Originally Posted by Granny Coy
Originally Posted by Becky Crafts
Originally Posted by quiltinghere
I've heard an 'adult' beverage will help...:) seriously!
I'm on too many meds...guess there's no hope, huh? :-)
I am in the same situation. No coffee, tea, or alcohol. They don't mix well with the anti depressant meds I take. Not suppose to have chocolate either but I refuse to give that up. A girl has to have one vice. I thought I would try the music and whole body motion tricks. As soon as I can figure out how to get my feed dogs down.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:59 AM

can you buy a stitch regulator for your machine I have one for mine and it is wonderful
Old 03-13-2011, 11:48 AM

I have a Pfaff 7570 and it took a while to learn to fmq. Get yourself a pair of quilter's gloves or tight fitting garden gloves w/rubber nubs on the fingers. Make a gazallion 12-15" practice blocks. I used muslin, different types of batting, backing. 1. Learn to go back and forth, then up and down and last; on the diagonal. 2. Next try loops while doing the exercise. Always relax, listen to music and only do it for about 15 minutes at a time, walk away and then come back so you do not get frustrated. Remember learning how to write in the first grade? Same thing. The practice sheets make great dust cloths, etc.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by City
To answer the question - no - no fairy dust. BUT .. if you are trying to recreate the look of Long Arm - forget it .. no matter how much practice you will never become a machine.
Some say you have to feed dogs down. I don't. I do use the bouncing foot thing (it must have a better name!) and put my machine on 1/2 speed .. if you cant' do that automatically, put a block of wood in the peddle. Go slow, have your pattern in mind, maybe even mark it with washout or air-out product, and go for it.
Go simple, and as already said several times, practice. Fix a sandwich about 15" square and practice the devil out of it. Change thread colors each time you practice .. you can use it to check stitch length, are you pulling curves too fast and getting bobbin on top like a spicer web, is the shape right, are you liking what you see?
Don't expect perfection, so work on something real that is for the kids to drag around, or that will be given some other place where it will get lots of love and scrub.
The idea of free motion is to connect the back to the front and keep the batting from sliding around. And look nice doing it.
SO - what is your objective? When you stop berating yourself you will see you are actually doing a really nice job! Don't give up ... you're a Quilter!
Is the bouncy foot an attachment or a technique? There is a lot of good hints in your post. My machine is an old Montgomery Ward heavy metal machine that is suppose to zig zag but doesn't. It was in the rental house when we moved in and has no manual or attachments of any kind. I am really winging it here,
Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 PM

Well that was about 50 minutes of well spent time. Oh how I wish that I was that talented and confident with free motion quilting. I do have the machine with the larger throat so it should be easier. RIGHT!!! :roll: :lol: :-( Jan
Old 03-13-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pat M.
I have a Pfaff 7570 and it took a while to learn to fmq. Get yourself a pair of quilter's gloves or tight fitting garden gloves w/rubber nubs on the fingers. Make a gazallion 12-15" practice blocks. I used muslin, different types of batting, backing. 1. Learn to go back and forth, then up and down and last; on the diagonal. 2. Next try loops while doing the exercise. Always relax, listen to music and only do it for about 15 minutes at a time, walk away and then come back so you do not get frustrated. Remember learning how to write in the first grade? Same thing. The practice sheets make great dust cloths, etc.
I was thinking about using them for backs of decorative pillows. Good Idea??? Jan
Old 03-13-2011, 01:41 PM

I HAVE COVERED THEM WITH MASKING TAPE. AS I WAS NOT ABLE TO DROP THE FEED DOGS.