Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a wide flannel backing fabric that won't pill? >

Is there a wide flannel backing fabric that won't pill?

Is there a wide flannel backing fabric that won't pill?

Old 02-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

Default Is there a wide flannel backing fabric that won't pill?

I am finishing up what is to me a large quilt (95" square). The top is all batiks with Kona black for sashing. The batting will probably be Hobbs Heirloom wool. I really don't want to piece the backing, so I am looking for wide backing fabric. I have never used flannel, but I thought a flannel backing would make the quilt less likely to slide around and more cuddly.

I am getting dizzy looking at wide backing fabrics online. Above all, I don't want the flannel to pill. Is there such an animal?

Also, would flannel make the quilt heavier than a woven backing fabric would? I really don't like heavy quilts.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:29 PM

The best flannel hands down is Killington flannel that is specifically milled for baby items, diapers in particular. I do not know if it comes in wide yardage but I just piece my backs when I use it. It is a very soft, thick flannel and is great for quilt backs. As with all flannels it needs to be washed and dried with high heat to shrink it but after that is very durable with little to no pilling. It does cost a little more than regular flannel but is well worth it. I have been using it for years.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:43 AM

I've used Moda flannel and it is wonderful! Thick; heavy; no pilling. I'm not sure they sell wide yardage but you could check their site.

I have seen wide flannel backing but only at one shop in Lancaster, PA and, sadly, I don't think they have an online store. But it is out there somewhere I'm sure.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I agree with NJ Quilter that Moda flannel is about the nicest I have ever worked with but I have never seen it wide. It is so wonderfully thick and lush and it has never pilled on me. I do have a wide flannel backing from Sew Batik that appears to be the same quality as Moda. But it has been in my stash for years waiting for a very special quilt and now they have discontinued their wide back flannel. Plus I have never washed it so I don't know if it will pill but judging by the quality of its feel I would be shocked if it did.

I ordered a wide flannel once from thousands of bolts and was very disappointed in the quality of it. Thankfully it was a remnant and I never intended to use it as a backing.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:38 AM

I love connecting threads flannel a lot. It is plush and doesn't pill
Old 02-21-2018, 08:56 AM

I typed in wide flannel backing and found several online stores. Fabric.com, Etsy, fabricdepot, hobby lobby has 108" wide. Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:38 PM

I've used Moda flannel that was (and still is) wonderful, but it was regular width that I pieced. Last week, I ordered both regular flannel (Timeless Treasure) and a wide back (Wilmington) from Hancock's of Paducah. DH reports that the pkg arrived today, but I won't see it until at least Saturday, as I am out of town babysitting.

Not sure what they have left, but the Timeless Treasure plaids were $3.99! I'm hoping to be able to piece them so that the seam isn't too often obvious, but at that price, felt they were definitely worth a try. If the seam is unsightly, well... They are for my own quilt, and it's the back, right?

The wideback from Wilmington was also on sale, $11.99/yd! Hopefully after washing (flannel being pretty much all I ever wash), it'll look and feel nice. It's for a quilt for our DD.

I wouldn't recommend flannels from big box stores. Not only do they shrink even more, they pill like crazy.