Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thermore

Has anyone used Thermore batting? What did you use it for and how did you like it?

Blog Entries
    I love it for my mini's. It is just the right weight and thickness for me. Cuts cleanly, stays together, I like it alot.

I heard about it on this Board, and I'm grateful!

I used it once for a class and love it. Very even, sews throught easily, and lays flat. A local shop owner told me she only uses it for clothing-where you don't want bulk. However I love it and will use it again.

Blog Entries
    Thermore started out being used for coats/jackets.

I have used it in clothing, baby quilts, summer bed quilts.
    It is wonderful to work with.

Chris

MTS
    Banned
    I used it for a quilt for my Grandmother.

I didn't want anything too heavy (and that's relative for 100 pound 90 year old) for her lap and on her legs.

It's a big lap quilt - 72" square, but really weighs nothing, and she could easily fling it aside without effort.

It was longarm quilted, and it came out lovely. Not as "solid' as, say, a quilt with Warm&Natural cotton batting, but still great for the summer.

Works great for wall hangings, table runners and light weight quilts. Very easy to hand quilt.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I used it for a king sized hand quilted quilt and it was AWESOME!

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am hand quilting my Dear Jane baby - Jane's Journey. I decided to use Thermore as it was supposed to be thin. Well, it is paper thin & I love quilting through it. I just got another Thermore that I am going to put in a log cabin that I will machine quilt. Wonder how it will do. I'll find out soon. I did find that it has a funny feeling - not quite sticky, but it goes away after some exposure to the air. It is really even across the surface & the thinnest I've ever found - been quilting since 1974.

I've attached a pic of the basting of JJ. I don't know if you can tell just how thin it is, but that's the batting, not the backing hanging fron underneath the top.

Jane's Journey being basted
    Name:  Attachment-189704.jpe
Views: 48
Size:  63.5 KB

Banned
    I've used it in two wall hangings, and they do hang really flat. The only issue that I have with it is that unless the batting is cut exactly the size of the backing or a little smaller, the excess batting clings to my machine bed and causes a little drag. Other than that, I think it is great for wall quilts.

Power Poster
    I haven't used it, but will definitely do so now!

It is great for quilted jackets and anything you want to make that is low-loft. It is a poly, so wrinkles hang out of it well. Also great for table toppers and runners, as the thicker bats aren't good to put things like candles *ahem* on. Don't ask how I know....experience! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Just Me...
    It is great for quilted jackets and anything you want to make that is low-loft. It is a poly, so wrinkles hang out of it well. Also great for table toppers and runners, as the thicker bats aren't good to put things like candles *ahem* on. Don't ask how I know....experience! LOL
    It also has a good 'drape' for wearable clothing.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi, Cas! Do you suppose the drag is caused by that funny feel it has? I quilted on JJ for several months, so that weird feel is gone now. I just got another one, but I haven't taken it out of the bag yet as I'm not ready to work on it.

Made the mistake of taking a batting (Fairfield Traditional) out to fluff & the furbaby with really long silky black fur (16 YO cat) decided it would make the bestest bed. There is so much shed hair on it, that I think I need to put it in the wash & take my chances on it coming out.

I haven't used this before but it looks like it would be great to work with.