Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Are these panels part of a pattern?

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar

Are these panels part of a pattern?

Someone gave me many yards of this Debbie Mumm fabric. The panels are not square....they measure approx. 9" x 10.5". Is this simply a cheater quilt? Or is it part of a pattern where these are alternated with pieced blocks?
    Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

It's probably a cheater panel, but you could cut them up if you want to alternate with your own blocks. It's actually a lot prettier than many cheater panels and would look lovely when nicely quilted.

Blog Entries
    looking at the sashing, it seems to be a cheater panel. i'm with Tartan... quilt it as is and many won't be able to tell that you didn't piece it.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Agree, cheater panel. It is one of the prettier ones I've seen. I'd put a border or two on it, then quilt it. Whatever you do, it will be loved by someone!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I would finish it up and add borders to make it large enough to be used.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Well, cheater or not, it is pretty. Go ahead and quilt it and we won't tell.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I'd leave it as is and quilt it. Everyone I know who has cut up and re-pieced a similar panel that has declared it a total nightmare ("Never again!") due to misprinting/uneven squares on the panel.

Beautiful panel. Haven't seen it in stores before, but I would not hesitate to add borders on it and quilt it as is. Wish someone had given it to me!!

love it, I'd make it the back of the next quilt you quilt. Make a beautiful double sided one.
    If you have more, make shams.

I agree... use it as is. I tried to cut them apart and use them as individual blocks and regretted it! It can become a real nightmare. It really is lovely and when quilted, will be treasured.

Senior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    Thanks everyone! It's a fairly old print but really is lovely quality fabric. Will add borders and have enough for 3 comfort quilts. Will post pic when done.
    Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.
    Edmund Burke

Blog Entries
    Some cheater panels (like this one) quilt up beautifully. I did one that reminds me of a Baltimore Album quilt and I hand quilted around all the designs and no one including quilting friends knows I did not hand applique it. Yes, there are some panels that look like panels but I have seen some of them where the quilter cuts around the design and appliques it. Please post pictures when you finish it.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

It is a cheater panel but I think would look nice cut up with an alternative design framing or adding color.

Beautiful panel! Would look lovely with a couple of borders.
    Some people know how to put a blessing into any situation!

My friend taught me these were convenience quilts...sounds nicer than cheater. It is so pretty that I would just quilt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
    Someone gave me many yards of this Debbie Mumm fabric. The panels are not square....they measure approx. 9" x 10.5". Is this simply a cheater quilt? Or is it part of a pattern where these are alternated with pieced blocks?
    Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.