Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: They got the box of quilts!!

That is so exciting! I can't wait to see the pics!

Bet they're all doing a happy dance too. Look forward to the pics.

I have followed your journey with this project, how wonderful to have the first quilts delivered. It's an awesome thing you've undertaken. I was unable to participate at this time, but believe me I will when I am able.

Deb

Yipee. I'm sure they are going to love them.

That is wonderful! I have had a son-in-law serve there. All the boxes of things sent to the troops mean more than anyone would ever know. Thanks for what you have done!

bravo!!!

bravo!!!

Yea!! I can't wait to see the pictures!!!

Blog Entries
    I am so thrilled to read this post. I am still a newbie here and haven't started a quilt yet. I am a Soldiers' Angel to 3 soldiers in Afghanistan. Since I don't really know how to quilt I have started 3 no sew fleece blankets. I want to get them in the mail before I have surgery Tuesday. I love to know there are more Angels here. I had already figured out what a fine group of people are on this site. I'm glad I am here too.

Blog Entries
    Oh this is exciting news! I didn't know about your project as I don't get to spend as much time as I would like surfing around. I'd LOVE to participate next time around if you are doing it again...hopefully I won't miss the thread. Its such a nice thing to do and so important to those men...thanks everyone who worked on this...now I can't wait to see pics either!

Can't wait to see pictures! Thanks Jan for the oportunity to give.

This is so wonderful. How did I miss out on this. May I have some info on this. I work slow but I could contribute. Thanks.

That's awesome. I can't wait to see all your soldiers.

and well you should. Waiting for pictures.

How wonderful you all are. I don't believe I've read about that before. Special quilts for special people, made by special people.

Blog Entries
    I am the mother of a female soldier who has done a tour in AF. and is getting ready to return. When she first went , she sent me a message that they were all cold and could I help. My husband ( who can pack a box like no other) managed to get 5 polar fleece blankets that I made into one box and off they went. I would make them 5 at a time for the troops at her FOB and we also sent smaller ones for them to give the kids. It made me feel warm all over. We still get messages from the troops about the Blankets. Jami is getting ready ti deploy again.I am stocking up on Polar fleece.

Blog Entries
    Soldiers Angels is asking for quilts and no sew blankets. Our troops in Afghanistan are freezing. It is really cold there now at night. The sleeping bags issued to the military are narrow at the bottom, not giving them room to stretch. With quilts and blankets, they are able to sleep on top of their sleeping bags and cover up with the quilts and blankets. If you have any quilts made with no recipient in mind or maybe it didn't turn out quite like you wanted, a cold soldier would really appreciate it. Go to this link: http://soldiersangels.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=681&cntnt01returnid=15

Jan, how wonderful that the first shipment arrived. Like others, I can hardly wait to see the pictures. And I'm also delighted, as I know you must be, to see several posts on this thread about additional offers to help. 128 quilts is alot to collect and I know you can use all the help you can get. It is truly amazing what you've done so far and I'm proud to have been able to help in a small way. Love to you and yours and let's all pray these brave souls can come home FOR GOOD -- AND SOON.

Again, Jan, Thank you for making it so easy for us to contribute to these wonderful solders. It was a priviledge to honor them with a small token of love.

Blog Entries
    It just boggles my mind to think of the amount of work it took for the contributing quilters to make all of these quilts, plus the cost of the postage. What a wonderful group of quilters!!!!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by bgullett
    Thats just great! How do we get involved?
    PMing you.
    Jan in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    PMing you.
    Jan in VA
    Maybe you could just tell us all right here! Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see the pix!

Blog Entries
    Good work. Can't wait to see the photos. I'm glad they arrived safely.

Quote Originally Posted by fayzer
    It just boggles my mind to think of the amount of work it took for the contributing quilters to make all of these quilts, plus the cost of the postage. What a wonderful group of quilters!!!!
    Fayzer,
    The support has been phenomenal! Outside of the amazingly generous members here, funds have also been raised -- sometimes $1 at a time -- throughout the local area and other communities. Businesses and clubs have contributed; the American Legion of Lynchburg VA has committed to $150 toward shipping; the National Guard has been giving us wonderful shipping boxes; the Bank of the James has opened - and seeded! - a free checking account for us; a national batting company is offering greatly reduced prices on the batting; and local restaurants and businesses have donated for the sew-in to be held in Bedford VA over the Nov. 5-6th weekend; and the glorious room for the sew-in has been donated. The quilt guild in Lynchburg VA is willingly taking quilts at each meeting to finish for us. A group of quilters at another church committed to a quilt a week until mid-Novemeber.

Of course, I am at work daily on those outreaches and haven't had time to finish a top myself! This project grew so far, so fast that none of us knew what happened!! Here we are just 7 weeks since we started and we already have 75 quilts and tops, with a total of 28 mailed so far. I am awed by the work the Lord is doing for these boys through the average citizen. It has been one of the most awesome experiences of my life. I know that He who has begun a good work is able to complete it. Thanks to all of you quilters!!

Jan in VA

Quote Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    PMing you.
    Jan in VA
    Maybe you could just tell us all right here! Sounds like a great project. Can't wait to see the pix!
    Here is the letter those who are interested get from me.

"Yes, we are still accepting and needing quilts for these soldiers. We will be shipping throughout November and December.

Thank you so much for your supportive offer of help for this project, it touches my heart.

Here are some answers to questions I’ve been asked:
    1. Mailing date to Afghanistan will be within the next 6 weeks and continue thru out November into December.

2. Suggested size of quilt is 46-48" to 64-65”, give or take whatever your design creates.

3. Please! Use only 100% cotton fabrics; it is too hot there for poly or blends. Preferably no metallics, preferably no white/muslin/or extremely pale-colored fabrics as it’s quite dirty where these soldiers are and most of them aren't able to even bathe for days at a time. Use accurate, generous ¼” seam allowances, please.

4. These quilts can be the simplest of designs, happy color is the most important thing to these men’s environment. Example: rail fence, 4-patch/9-patch, wide strippies, ‘snowballed’ blocks, etc.

5. All of these service personnel are men.

6. Yes, you are most welcomed to batt with cotton, quilt, finish your own quilt; we could definitely use that help! But I can also arrange to have it done here before we ship them if necessary.

7. If you have backing or binding fabric to include, that would be awesome! Cut binding strips @ 2.75” for these quilts please or just send yardage.

8. If you are a new quilter and need a pattern and/or instructions for this project, I have 3-4 on file which I will be glad to email to you. Please send me your personal email address for this purpose.

My address: (Use PM for this please)

Please be free to email or even call if you have any questions!

May you be blessed as you bless these servicemen with the labors of your heart.
    Jan in VA"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast