Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"They" say to always use the same ruler when making a project - >

"They" say to always use the same ruler when making a project -

"They" say to always use the same ruler when making a project -

Old 05-30-2017, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
The flip side of this -

If I had three people using the same brand and size/model of ruler - and asked them to cut 4 inch squares - do you think they would be "exactly" the same size?
HaHaHa!! Absolutely NEVER!! We all hold our rotary cutters at just a slightly different angle and that changes the actual measurement of a cut piece.

Now here is another one for YOU!! If three people, using the exact same machine and foot, piece a block, would they all end up being the same size? Or, alternately, if one person pieces a block on three different machines, will they all be the same size?

I have a top that I pieced on my sister's machine. It is 90% done. But I am afraid to finish it on a different machine because I know I will have size problems.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:43 PM

The flip side of this -

If I had three people using the same brand and size/model of ruler - and asked them to cut 4 inch squares - do you think they would be "exactly" the same size?

Haha.... "I " can't even cut the exact same size each time! When I've been trimming around my Peacock project.... I would have liked to have someone else to blame!
Old 05-30-2017, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

I always figure that stuff does not line up because I am not that good at sewing. I am not that good at cutting either. But I do love it. I have three rulers in different sizes, all Omnigrid.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

- Or, alternately, if one person pieces a block on three different machines, will they all be the same size? - (quote)

My sister has a machine at home and one at work (her hubby's garage). She has told me many times that they do not sew the same.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:40 PM

I have the same name brand rulers but I use my 6X24 for cutting all my pieces including strips and squares. I have not had any issues with measurements or piecing unless my 1/4 inch seam is quirky.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:50 AM

I used to use a ruler that had really wide lines. I found that depending on whether I was tired, or didn't cut it all in one go, I would go to the left side of the line one time & the right side another. Then I would have different sizes & nothing went together as planned. Altho I just picked up Mary Ellen's books as my sister went to a lot of her classes & used her PPM method & won 2 award for her quilts. They looked beautiful!!!!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:24 AM

I use several different rulers, mostly because I use one that matches the size I'm cutting. Not going to haul out the 8x24 ruler when cutting a 2.5x2.5 square. I have rulers from 4-5 different companies.

And to this day, it's never given me any grief.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:32 AM

Mary Ellen Hopkins has mentioned PPM - Personal Private Measurements - and i was also wondering if this concept could apply to cutting techniques and equipment.
Perfectly true. As long as you never do any guild block eschanges, or tackle much beyond 4 patch quilts.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

As long as I do not use a Quilter's Rule ruler with the thick grid lines - I usually end up with a block very close to the size I intended it to be.

I placed my thin-lined rulers on top of each other - and all the inch lines lined up.

(I do have to say that I once did have a ruler that the measurements were "different" from most of my other rulers. I gave it to an acquaintance with the caveat that it was not accurate and should only be used as a straight-edge - but I don't think she heard that part and was using it for measuring. I will NOT give bad tools to anyone again.)

Last edited by bearisgray; 05-31-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:25 PM

I prefer Omnigrid/grip rulers, all of the other brands tend to confuse me. So I use what works for me. I've been quilting since 1988.
Sharon in Texas