Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimblelady? >

Thimblelady?

Thimblelady?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 AM

Sounds so interesting, but is that large dimple thimble for the under-the-quilt finger or the top (pushing needle thru)? I have never found a thimble I feel comfortable with -I do like the Clover leather thimble for the needle pushing finger on top, and Sailor self-adhesive "Thimble-it" finger pads for underneath.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:38 PM

You would laugh if you knew how many junky, worthless thimbles I have!!! I have both the cone style and sterling thimbles from Thimblelady and they are incredible the way they hold your needle. I will never go back to anything else. Btw, they are for the top, quilting finger, not the underneath. I still can't do 12 or 14 stitches per inch but maybe someday! Her needles are a bit thin, so if you bend your needle alot you might find these break easily. I like Roxanne needles. But I swear by the thimbles, the are expensive-- but made from stainless steel or st. Silver, means it is a one time only purchase and they will not wear out.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:21 PM

I've been watching her demo on Simply Quilts and it looks like her needles are longer than your average quilting needle. Does anyone know if they are? She really packs a lot of stitches on before she pulls it through!

ETA: This is her demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zej-2uIyLY0

It starts approx. 19 minutes into the video.

Last edited by cabbagepatchkid; 07-23-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:48 PM

Yes, it really is as comfortable and quick as it looks. I started with a beginner plastic version of the cone thimble and then indulged myself with the sterling one, so glad I did! I also have her book and DVD, Perfect Hand Quilting without Pain. There's no curling up the fingers as with betweens and the needle never touches the finger underneath so no 'ouch' or callus.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 PM

They are expensive. I wonder what they are like. Loved the thimbles especially the gold one.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

when I hand quilt, I get 10-11 stitches. Have used the long applique needles. I only quilt for myself. If I were goin g to do it for some one else, I'd have a LA'er do it. Just can't see paying the price for her thimbles. The ones I have work fine for me.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 AM

I, too, swear by her cone thimbles. I have the stainless steel - not the sterling one. I actually wore one of the stainless ones out! and am on #2. But at approx. $25, still far better to me than the $$ I've wasted over the years on thimbles that don't fit; don't feel right; don't hold the needle well, etc. I find her sizing instructions for thimbles to be very accurate. Her needles are much longer than a normal quilting 'between' needle. I liked them but found them a bit bendy for me possibly because I hand quilt with W&N batting. I, too, prefer Roxanne betweens for quilting but do follow Thimblelady's process of keeping the quilt fairly loose in the hoop.