Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: That thing to push seams out?

What do you call the tool that is used when you sew two pieces together, turn them right side out, and then use the tool to push and straighten the seams out? I'm trying to find it online at Joann's and I've searched all over and can't find it.

Don't know about that but have used a crochet hook!

I use an unused ChopStick!
    :D

I think it's called a "point turner". :?

I saw the point turner but I thought I saw a long metal thing at Joann's in person. I was thinking something like a bodkin, is that right? Just not with a ball at the end. Something metal and flat but round shape to run along the seam and can also use it while ironing.

I'll have to look later. I wanted to place an order for several odds and ends I need but have to get ready to leave for work.

Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd51129

This is what mine looks like -- it's plastic but I have seen them made from wood.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    What do you call the tool that is used when you sew two pieces together, turn them right side out, and then use the tool to push and straighten the seams out? I'm trying to find it online at Joann's and I've searched all over and can't find it.

I think the technical term is " the seam turner thingy" :lol: :lol: At least it is in my little world. :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I am not sure what you are describing so I cant help you!

Quote Originally Posted by mytwopals
    I saw that but I mainly want it for applique work and smooth seams so the point might be troublesome.

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    This is what mine looks like -- it's plastic but I have seen them made from wood.
    I like that one with the rounded point. Now just to find it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mgshaw

I think the technical term is " the seam turner thingy" :lol: :lol: At least it is in my little world. :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I am not sure what you are describing so I cant help you!
    It is a seam turner thingy. Why can't web sites be intuitive like that?

Is it a bodkin? http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd34443 Very helpful tool.

From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL
    My husband cut off the "point" of plastic knitting needles for me and just made sure it was a smoot cut...
    I got a pair on clearance for 75 cents so this was a VERY cheep option, and the are long so easy to use...

:P

Blog Entries
    try a fabric turner i think it,s called look for it in quilt in a day ,she has them and maybe cheaper than joann,s

I have nylon press bars (4 sizes in the pack: each is a different length AND width). When you put them into the fabric "tube", their slightly pointed ends open up the seam and the bar keeps the seams open while you press. I got them from Clotilde's catalog. Could they be what you're talking about? If so and you go looking for them, they are called Nylon Press Bars.

The chop sticks might work. I have a package of nice wood ones I could sand down an end so it is tapered and rounded.

The bodkins I have seen have a little ball on the end? I did order a set of metal pressing bars, I just didn't think of using them for other than stems and such for applique.

Here's one type http://www.gfcquilting.com/cart.php?...ategory_id=118
    and here's another (bottom of the page)http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat70.htm
    Both have rounded points.

Could you be looking for a ball-point stiletto? Works good for me.

Believe it or not, when I am working on puff quilts and have to turn the blocks right side out, my husband took apart a ball point pen and took out the cartridge and I use the bottom half of the shell to turn my quilt squares. Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Here's one type http://www.gfcquilting.com/cart.php?...ategory_id=118
    and here's another (bottom of the page)http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat70.htm
    Both have rounded points.
    The first one is just like mine....

Does anyone else have trouble actually finding what they need at JoAnn's online??

Here's a picture of a 7" bodkin. You can get them at Jo-Ann's. One end has a round ball that is perfect for running along the seams of appliqued pieces. I've also used a small crochet hook (either end).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    i use a chop stick - my DH is chinese so i have tons in the house.

I saw the point turner but I thought I saw a long metal thing at Joann's in person. I was thinking something like a bodkin, is that right? Just not with a ball at the end. Something metal and flat but round shape to run along the seam and can also use it while ironing.

I'll have to look later. I wanted to place an order for several odds and ends I need but have to get ready to leave for work.
    What you think you saw is not what you really want ... and, it isn't really what you saw ... optical illusion.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...rd49627&amuc=5,439

has something to do with a raffia set ... can't remember the whole schtick, but on the Joann's page it is right next to the 7" bodkin

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...rd30092&amuc=5,439

This is produced by Boye, and it is called a bodkin, flexible ... may be more what you were thinking of... now, tell us what you are going to use it for

That looks like what you described, and it does say Bodkin ... but, it sure looks like a knitting needle to me ....
    the bone folder is the best turner, in my humble opinion ... and, if you can remember to stitch 2 stitches across the corner, rather than make a direct right turn, you will be able to actually turn a better looking corner .... good enough that when I showed that Sandra Betzina tip, the supervisor taught it to the other collar stitchers/machine operators ...
    carry on LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast