Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those that go to retreats, do you take gifts? >

Those that go to retreats, do you take gifts?

Those that go to retreats, do you take gifts?

Old 03-22-2024, 03:30 AM
Power Poster

Qtips are fuzzy so I don't use them. I use a makeup brush for general cleaning and the micro tips for reaching small areas. The tips can grab lint and tiny pieces of thread . And I use them to clean the vents on my blow dryer.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Qtips are fuzzy so I don't use them. I use a makeup brush for general cleaning and the micro tips for reaching small areas. The tips can grab lint and tiny pieces of thread . And I use them to clean the vents on my blow dryer.
Thanks for the extra details, OneByOne!
Old 03-22-2024, 04:03 AM

I purchased a pack of those little brushes from Quilt in a Day a couple years ago. They are great for the bobbin area and to put the tiniest drop of oil on a part that needs it. I still have abut 30 left.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:16 AM

I used to go on retreat with 10-15 friends and we would take turns organizing it with the hotel. Once when I was doing the plans I made all the ladies lanyards with a little pair of scissors snapped to the clasp. I used random fabric from my stash and cut WOF strips to coordinate with the colors of the pack of little scissors. They all loved them and to this day several still comment that they use the all the time.

Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg  
Old 03-22-2024, 10:37 AM

I decided to buy the 800 pack of micro tip brushes from Amazon, $10, to clean out the bobbin and foot area of the machine. I can divvy up to make 30 gifts of I'll make a cut little drawstring bag for them. Something useful that can be tossed after use. That will be 26 per bag. Enough to last everyone a long time.
Okay, I looked at this and thought "I have to have those!". LOL. So here I am, working as a substitute teacher in a computer lab and reading this forum. Hey, it's the last day before spring break and most kids are away so those who are here are mostly playing games anyway. Anyhow, out comes my phone and in minutes I've placed my Amazon order. Isn't technology wonderful! I look forward to a cleaner bobbin area.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

We get almost all Amazon orders the next day. Big warehouse/delivery a few miles away. It's kinda scary, see it, want it, have it. LOL My husband said it how you get things done these days. Between Amazon, Google, and Youtube you are set to make, build, learn, or fix anything.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:24 PM

When I went to retreats we had a smalller group that would bring gifts. Some were just little trinkets that got tossed or given to the grandkids. I tried to find more useful things. One time I made pocket Kleenex covers.great use of scraps. Another I made those little drawstring bags with inside pockets for jewelry. Those turned out pretty cute
Old 03-23-2024, 03:13 AM

I decided to buy the 800 pack of micro tip brushes from Amazon, $10, to clean out the bobbin and foot area of the machine. I can divvy up to make 30 gifts of I'll make a cut little drawstring bag for them. Something useful that can be tossed after use. That will be 26 per bag. Enough to last everyone a long time.

I think that's a great idea! The first time I saw these was at a quilt show, I think they were something like $5 for a bag of 10 or 20. I was thrilled when I found them on Amazon; the ones I got came in a container the size of a large prescription bottle. They do work well for cleaning out tight spots, and not only in the sewing machine.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
OneByOne ... You had me curious and I found them on Amazon Canada.
How small/large is the brush end compared to a Q-tip?
The description says there are four colours, each with a different size of brush end.
Yet the picture shows, three are the same size, and one the other.
But do I really want 400 of them? (size of the packs here)
Thanks!!
When I got them, I shared them with some friends. They definitely work better than a q-tip, no loose fibers hanging off to get caught. They've also been put into use to clean other tiny places, as well as for getting just a drop of oil or glue exactly where needed.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:13 AM
Power Poster

Those brushes are great. I use them a lot. I also love those tiny scissors. I have several in different areas and use them a lot while doing hand work.
That's such a nice gesture to bring everyone a goody bag!