Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For those that longarm >
  • For those that longarm

• For those that longarm

Old 11-14-2016, 04:15 AM

I started out with a non fancy longarm that I learned to meander on. It took me a good 3 years to get proficient at it. During that time I had a lot of trouble with the machine, where it was off at the factory for 3 months at a time being repaired. Then I wised up and got a HQ Avante with Pro stitcher. It has been a wonderful learning experience. Three years of wonderful quilting. So far this year "Bob" has quilted 65 quilts, both for me and my friends. I do very little FMQ because I just don't like "wasting" time practicing. The Avante has the ability to disengage the computerized part so you have free motion capabilities without the heaviness of the machine. Three years with "Bob" and still learning. I make several tops at a time so that I have 3 or 4 tops lined up, then I do one after another.
    Old 11-14-2016, 06:09 AM

I bought my HQ Fusion about 2.5 years ago, and did pretty well at the get-go, but keep learning new tricks and techniques. I have stitch regulation, but no computer. (Unfortunately, on the HQ, that means I don't have channel locks . ) I am a computer programmer, and wanted to get away from all that stuff in my off-hours! One big motivation for my switch from sit-down FMQ was ergonomics. My shoulders would get so stiff and sore when doing FMQ at my DSM. Some folks warned me that I might have problems standing at the LA for long periods, but I don't find that to be a problem at all. Of course, I don't quilt for $, so I can quit whenever I get tired.

I've been quilting for a small group of quilters that make patriotic quilts for vets in the hospital, and have been able to use that work to try out new techniques and designs. It's also shown me that quilting for others is pretty challenging -- get some pretty wonky quilt tops!

My biggest challenge is getting and keeping the quilt square on the frame.
    Old 11-14-2016, 06:27 AM

I started out with a 15" Bailey just to see if I'd like it. Then I upgraded to a 24" Fusion and had to relearn a lot! After taking some classes and learning about the robotics, I added that to the machine. I don't find it any different FMQ after adding it.

DH got interested with the robotics, and he likes using the machine too. So far we only quilt our own quilts, though DH does want to start doing charity quilts and maybe some for hire.
    Old 11-14-2016, 06:57 AM

I have had my longarm for about 7 years... I love freemotion.. I liken it to doodling. Get some books that have quilting ideas or go online a look at videos.., Jamie Wallen and Linda Taylor have some great ones to watch... Practice Practice Practice that is the key... I do panto's every now and then but I really have a hard time keeping a panto smooth, I am too jerky can't seem to get the flow. Everyone is different. Also get a sketch pad, can be bought at Dollar General very cheap and practice drawing... It is muscle memory.. If you draw it enough times you can quilt it... Just keep after it.. Good luck.
    Old 11-14-2016, 07:13 AM

I've never taken a class for my quilt machine and right at the beginning I knew freemotion was going to be a challenge for me as I have hand tremors. Even using a ruler and having the foot up against it I couldn't be sure my hand wouldn't jerk off it so went with robotics from the get go. I started off with a 9" throated machine and PCQ, moved up to a retrofitted PCQ/MQR. Then moved up to an 18" machine using the same robotics. Finally got myself a 26" machine and upgraded the same robotics (MQR). Even with robotics you need to know your machine and what its capable of doing. With robotics you need to place your machine/needle to where you want to place your pattern, calculate the distance if you're doing an E2E, etc.

I'm now going to try ruler work again as I'd like to add to or fill in the dead space that is too much trouble to do in my opinion with robotics. I do enjoy the creating of the quilting layouts and/or quilt patterns themselves using a program called ProQ Designer.

I admire those who can do freemotion quilting and am in awe of what some create free hand. I quilt for myself mainly, occasionally I'll do one for one of my quilting neighbors..............stressing out that I might make a mistake on it but so far I've been lucky. They seem to be happy with the outcome and that makes me strive on to better myself with my quilting whether its with robotics, freemotion or ruler work.
    Old 11-14-2016, 09:45 AM
    anonymous

I have an innova long arm with robotics. I love using the robotics. Just a different way of being creative. You have to learn the software and there is plenty you can do with it. I also want to get good at fm. I always have practice muslin on my machine when not working on a quilt. I definitely improve with practice. I don't quilt as a business, so it is hard to get enough tops to practice on. I know that I would never be able to quilt like some of those amazing longarm quilters out there. Sort of like dancing, you either have the beat or you don't. Hard to fake it, lol!

Old 11-14-2016, 11:18 AM

I quilt on a old longarm no whistles or bells I do fmq and do pantos it does take practice and some designs are a lot easier for me than others straight lines are not my thing and I have a big foot so cannot use rulers. I am very happy with my machine
    Old 11-14-2016, 11:31 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac
    I bought my HQ Fusion about 2.5 years ago, and did pretty well at the get-go, but keep learning new tricks and techniques. I have stitch regulation, but no computer. (Unfortunately, on the HQ, that means I don't have channel locks . )
    Not sure about this as I don't have robotics on my HQ Avante and I have channel locks.

Cari
    Old 11-14-2016, 06:45 PM

Thank you all so much for your feedback and sharing your experiences!!! I think I'm just going to go ahead and get the robotics and still practice on my freehand skills.
    Old 11-15-2016, 01:44 AM

I have a HQ Fusion w/ pro-stitcher . I started out doing friends quilts no charge , after 2 years people would ask could you do my quilt. I'm quilting for others now . I like Panto's and working from the front . Don't like my pro-stitcher
    thinking about selling it ? I'm not that good with computers .