Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those Pesky Little Details >

Those Pesky Little Details

Those Pesky Little Details

Old 06-29-2020, 09:15 AM

When using the rotary cutter, make certain your arm with the cutter goes out from your shoulder. Not across your body or out from your body. Makes a huge difference.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-29-2020 at 10:11 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-29-2020, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I watched a demo by Pauline Rogers who said use the smallest rotary cutter you can. The bigger the cutter the more the fabric moves in front of the cut. She recommended the Clover 18mm size. I tried it and the cutter does cut up to four layers just fine with less forward movement of the fabric. Every little tip helps when cutting the expensive fabric.
I like the small cutter when cutting mini blocks..yes less drag. Although the smaller the cutter, the more wear and needing to be replaced.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
I like the small cutter when cutting mini blocks..yes less drag. Although the smaller the cutter, the more wear and needing to be replaced.
The small blades are cheaper so it balances out.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:21 AM

I really need to just go ahead and buy a better mat. The one I've been using for my cutting was already designated once as not suitable but it landed on my cutting table when I needed one I didn't care about any stains from a particular craft project.

I've gotten really good at replacing my needles/seam rippers/sharp things as soon as they bug me -- except for rotary blades. I'm still working on my thought processes, buy in bulk when on sale and replace far more often than I do. Blades might seem expensive, but compare $5 for a blade to $100+ for your fabric, plus a premium on your time and frustration. Blades are cheaper than I am... just gotta get it into the routine a bit better.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I change blades at first skip. It will only get worse so why the frustration of using it anyway? I have about as many rotary blades in my stash as I have spools of thread. I see a sale I stock up knowing I have that many and more in my stash. I prefer cutting with a sharp blade so I do.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Iceblossom- Consider getting a Quilters Select Mat. They are fantastic!!!
Old 07-02-2020, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

One of those things that we all neglect until we have a problem.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Iceblossom- Consider getting a Quilters Select Mat. They are fantastic!!!

I second that. The QS mats have memory foam in between the layers. The mat is a dream to use. I have had mine for several years and can't tell where I cut on it. One tip to keeping a mat happy is not to use much pressure when using the rotary cutter on any mat. A sharp blade and good cutter don't need much pressure at all. I like the QS rotary cutter. It's weighted so I don't have to press much at all. In fact all of QS products seem the best of the best.