Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: For those who FMQ with a brother PS1500

For those who FMQ with a brother PS1500

What kind of thread do you use? I have tried several different kinds, with all of them snapping, which is the most frustrating thing as you can imagine. What kind of thread has served you well? What do you recommend? I've done the fresh needle thing, going faster, going slower, tension adjusting and still am breaking threads. The thread I am using was not cheap either, and I have a growing collection of spools which don't work. While I was at our local Len's Mill store, I bought the one last remaining spool of 100% egyptian mercerized machine quilting thread, which worked! Except, there were no other spools on the rack. I've since tried 3 local shops that carry thread, and no luck.

I've gone on line to Connecting Threads, and would like to order something, but what do you recommend?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    phranny ~ I cannot call my day complete. 'til needle, thread, and fabric meet.

I was having a problem like that, I started using schmetz stretch needles 90/14 and it stopped breaking.

I agree, it is most likely you are using wrong needles because brothers are not finicky on the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I agree, it is most likely you are using wrong needles because brothers are not finicky on the thread
    Agree with this statement. Between me and my sister we have 3 Brothers each. She just bought the 1500 but I'm the one breaking it in. I have yet to find a thread that won't work with a Brother.
    Never outsmart your common sense.

Karen

It's recommended in the manual to use Organ HLX5 needles. That's what I've always used and haven't had any problems.

I have the same model and haven't had problems with thread that a change of needle hasn't fixed. Sometimes I find it necessary to try out various needle sizes before I'm happy with the result. I also find that I have trouble, not so much with snapping as loops or other thread problems, if the thread has jumped from under the downward facing hook to the left of the tension dial or from the tine hook on the upper right of the needle assembly. I use mostly Aurifil and Gutermann for quilting.

How long have you had your machine? If it is a recent purchase, I would take it in to the dealer for servicing. It's possible that something like the timing might be off just a wee bit. Also, and I know this sound wacky, have you cleaned your machine recently. I find that this machine collects a lot of stuff in and around the bobbin case and under the throat plate. Surprisingly, that could also cause problems.
    Diana

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by san-sing View Post
    I was having a problem like that, I started using schmetz stretch needles 90/14 and it stopped breaking.
    You are lucky. These needles will not work in my machine. I have to use the XL5 needles.
    Sadiemae

Quote Originally Posted by phranny View Post
    What kind of thread do you use? I have tried several different kinds, with all of them snapping, which is the most frustrating thing as you can imagine. What kind of thread has served you well? What do you recommend? I've done the fresh needle thing, going faster, going slower, tension adjusting and still am breaking threads. The thread I am using was not cheap either, and I have a growing collection of spools which don't work. While I was at our local Len's Mill store, I bought the one last remaining spool of 100% egyptian mercerized machine quilting thread, which worked! Except, there were no other spools on the rack. I've since tried 3 local shops that carry thread, and no luck.

I've gone on line to Connecting Threads, and would like to order something, but what do you recommend?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    I have found occasionally a burr on the foot has caught and cut the thread. A rough area can occur when you have hit the foot with the needle, usually breaking the needle. When I have been stumped before, my dealer has told me this when I've taken it in for repair. I ditto the response that the timing may also be off or tension disks littered with lint.

--Charlene