Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: For those who make bags

Blog Entries
    I needed to have a support for the bottom of "luggage" I made for Kylie (pics on another post). I went to the hardware store thinking I would buy plexi glass. It was $24 for what I needed-too expensive, so I started cruzing the isles for something. I found "Plastic Cardboard"! It is the "for sale" signs - not the solid thinner, flexible, plastic but literally looks like white plastic cardboard. I used the rotary cutter (I know, it was an old blade though:) ) and used extra pressure to cut it. I covered it with fabric and if it is soiled, it can easily be cleaned. It only cost $6 for what I needed. And did I mention it is very lightweight!

a lot of people use the "vote for me " signs, same plastic cardboard but free! I've used template plastic.

Blog Entries
    Now aren't you the clever one!!!?? :thumbup:

Great idea. I usually pick up a large piece of foam board from Dollar Tree. Works great for me.

Yeah those vote for me signs are called coroplast(I think). I used to build RC planes from them tough and light stuff
    David

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tip :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tip. I have been looking for something to put in the bottoms of my bags for more support.

I use foam board. A 24x36 sheet is only a couple of bucks and you can get several bottoms from it.

Great tip thanks.

Me too thanks you for the nice tip!

crt
    I use this all of the time, but I get mine at a business that makes signs, and it costs $2 for a large sheet that I can get 4-5 purse bottoms out of. And last time I went in, she gave me a scrap piece about the same size that they had left over from a job that was perfect, and didn't charge me a cent. This stuff holds up forever! I make a sleeve for it out of my lining fabric, and just slip it off when I wash my purse.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    Yeah those vote for me signs are called coroplast(I think). I used to build RC planes from them tough and light stuff
    David
    Yes, those signs are made of corroplast - corrugated plactic - sheeting. I use it and foamcore for lots of different things.

Blog Entries
    I also use foam board for bag bottoms. I have also used a couple of left over pieces of plastic canvas.

Blog Entries
    Well, I need to get out more often! I had not a clue what people were talking about with the "vote" signs :):) All I knew at the time was I needed 2 large (10" x 21" ) pieces of something and refused to pay $$$ for plexi glass. I guess you ladies are just really good recyclers also! My eyes are slowly being opened... :):)

BMP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    a lot of people use the "vote for me " signs, same plastic cardboard but free! I've used template plastic.
    Maybe when its election time again and all the signs come up missing ......

I really like that idea. You can also use cardboard like the cereal boxes. I do like your idea better than cereal boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by plainjane
    I needed to have a support for the bottom of "luggage" I made for Kylie (pics on another post). I went to the hardware store thinking I would buy plexi glass. It was $24 for what I needed-too expensive, so I started cruzing the isles for something. I found "Plastic Cardboard"! It is the "for sale" signs - not the solid thinner, flexible, plastic but literally looks like white plastic cardboard. I used the rotary cutter (I know, it was an old blade though:) ) and used extra pressure to cut it. I covered it with fabric and if it is soiled, it can easily be cleaned. It only cost $6 for what I needed. And did I mention it is very lightweight!
    I can make a fairly substancial bottom by ironing craft backing to a couple layers of fabric. I try to cut it so that there's an "unbacked" border around the bottom pieces. The craft backing is pretty stiff, so a few thicknesses get to be hard to sew thru

Blog Entries
    I love using the coroplast in the bottoms of my bags. It's also what I wrap my fabric around to arrange my stash.
    The best part of using it in bags is it tolerates water, so if the bag accidently gets wet, the bottom doesn't fall apart. It also is a good foundation if you like to add "feet" to the bag.
    I used this to make temporary gates in my house for puppy training too, but that's another story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Quote Originally Posted by plainjane
    I can make a fairly substancial bottom by ironing craft backing to a couple layers of fabric. I try to cut it so that there's an "unbacked" border around the bottom pieces. The craft backing is pretty stiff, so a few thicknesses get to be hard to sew thru
    When I'm in a time crunch for finishing, sometimes my brain just freezes! Craft backing - bought some! This is a good reason for reading as many posts as you can - you'll be armed with all kinds of GREAT info. Thanks all!

My daughter uses plastic canvas in the bottom of the bags she makes. Slip them inside a fabric case and if you have something leak or spill you can easily clean the bag and reuse the plastic canvas. She got a super deal on the canvas on clearance at WM.

Blog Entries
    Try your local Frame Shop (maybe even Joann's) Sometimes they will give you the scraps from mat board and foam board. I have an unending supply, my daughter is a professional framer.
    I take the mat board and glue a couple of pieces together for a more firm bottom. Make a cover case with lining fabric so it just slips out for washing.

Great idea

I just wonder if it would bend under weight? Anyone have this issue?

Blog Entries
    I cruise the Clearance Aisle at WalMart for placemats on clearance and buy several. They are big enough for purse bottoms and take up very little room under fabric on the shelf.

Placemats, what a wonderful idea.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast