Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those who make their own starch >

For those who make their own starch

For those who make their own starch

Old 08-28-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i still don't get the whole- add oil to my starch...i don't want any oils getting on my fabrics- am so careful to make sure machine oil is blotted- and not going to get on the fabrics- and some of you are adding oil on purpose???for an odor???
i just do not understand this at all- and it seems so (counter productive) seems like an oil would keep the starch from doing its job- have a weird effect on it-
just me i'm sure- it just seems so strange that anyone would do that
i try to find products that do not stink (no perfumes added-you never know who may be allergic) pre-wash everything to get rid of any chemicals-odors---i don't get it
Its an essential oil. I read on this site to add lavender oil to keep the bugs away but I only have eucalyptus essential oil. I think maybe I'll leave it out and just starch when I need to ie - whatever project I am working on and then wash it out and not leave it lying around for a long time!!

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:36 PM

[quote=beebs]
Originally Posted by ckcowl
I think maybe I'll leave it out and just starch when I need to ie - whatever project I am working on and then wash it out and not leave it lying around for a long time!!

Thanks everyone!
This is what I do. My fabric is washed, dried, then folded and put away into my stash. I don't iron or starch it until I'm ready to use it, and then I try to starch only the portion of the fabric I'm going to use that day. Mostly because I know I'll just have to iron it again anyway before I cut it, and for the bug issue.